Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The accounting team at Planet is seeking a new Accounting Manager. You will work under the general direction of the Director of Accounting, and be responsible for a wide variety of tasks in the revenue cycle, including general accounting associated with day to day operation, month, quarter, and year-end close process and reporting. You must have knowledge of and ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles (ASC 606) and related internal controls. The ideal candidate will exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical principles as well as great communication skills. Other valued attributes that we are seeking are a strong work ethic, a capacity to get things done independently, a questioning mind to make the revenue accounting well-researched and accurate, and a consistent performance with a sense of urgency and commitment.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Day to day revenue cycle responsibility includes, but not limited to:
- Review sales contracts to ensure correct revenue recognition using Netsuite ARM
- Maintain audit trail by obtaining sufficient delivery evidence for revenue recognition
- Monitor and review information flow from CMS to ERP, and ensure timely and accurate systematic recordings of sales transactions
- Actively participate in the monthly/quarterly/annual close efforts, including:
- Accurately calculate and post/review various journal entries related to the revenue cycle, including revenue recognition, accounts receivable and deferred revenue
- Perform/review account reconciliations for assigned general ledger accounts, identify outliers, and establish and communicate the plan for timely corrective action
- Lead active communication with internal business partners such as sales, system admin and product team to achieve a proper revenue accounting and process
- Continuously identify opportunities for process improvement and enhancement of internal controls for efficiency and effectiveness
- Support special projects and processes improvement initiatives in the revenue cycle
What You Bring:
- Strong US GAAP knowledge and solid accounting skills in the revenue cycle
- Track record of minimum 4-5 years working in the revenue accounting, including under ASC 606
- Strong operational understanding in revenue cycle, including sales orders, system workflow between CMS and ERP, and revenue recognition under ASC 606
- Experience in using NetSuite with ARM (Advanced Revenue Management)
- Proficiency in financial analysis, reporting, and interpretation of data
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to exercise judgment and high degree of discretion within broadly defined practices and policies in reaching conclusions with adequate level of rationale and documentation supported by qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Experience in a high growth, rapidly changing work environment required. Ability to work with a strong sense of urgency both as an individual contributor and as a team
- Experience at a senior level and/or a CPA license
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.