Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
If you are passionate about space, geospatial data and machine learning, Planet is the right choice. Reasons to join us include:
- We are a young and successful cube-sat company, unique in its domain. We have developed a new way to quickly build and test satellites, and launched upwards of 400 satellites into space.
- You get to work with a geospatial dataset that is new to humankind. Imagery of the entire globe, every day. Think of the possibilities.
- You will work on cutting-edge applications that leverage deep learning on remote sensing.
- You will build interactive machine learning-powered products that get served at a global scale.
- You will work in a dynamic, talented and inclusive work environment. All opinions matter and you learn a lot from your peers.
- All departments are in the same building. You sit together and learn from teams like spacecraft, mission control and launch.
- You get to watch several rocket launches per year, sometimes in person.
About The Role:
In the Analytics Engineering team, we are focused on developing customer-facing geospatial intelligence products that will change how our industry measures global activity. For example, we can build systems that detect deforestation within a few days from occurring, anywhere in the world. Our customers come from a range of sectors, including commercial, environmental and humanitarian. We launched our first product line, Planet Analytics Feeds earlier this year and rapidly scaling our capabilities across verticals and industries.
We have an industry leading web geospatial engineering team distributed across SF and Berlin, obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems and inventing the future of how people interact with geospatial imagery. We are looking for a hands on senior technical engineering lead with applied product experience to join us.
Impact You'll Own:
- Leading the design and development of full stack geospatial web services running actions and transformations on Planet’s imagery
- Understand the data needs including schema, frequency of the data (either streaming, daily, hourly etc) by collaborating closely with machine learning engineers and data scientists
- Collaborate closely with product managers and solution engineers to define granularity of engineering deliverables to product roadmap
- Providing technical leadership to a collaborative team of full-stack software developers and data engineers
- Facilitate and make technical decisions that drive the long term vision and architecture of data engineering within the Planet platform
- Collaborate closely with peers on other engineering teams and interface frequently with product and design teams
What You Bring:
- 5+ years experience developing and shipping data software in a production context at scale
- Demonstrated ability to develop scalable data pipelines and infrastructure
- Solid understanding of and experience developing and working with web-based APIs
- Strong, industry leading understanding of software architecture and testing patterns
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a software development team that uses version control, code reviews and regular deployments.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience implementing interactive full stack web applications with geospatial raster and vector data
- Few years of experience building production software and interacting with geospatial API services
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Flexible working hours / home office
- Fruit, snacks, drinks, weekly company lunch
- Office building in a central location close to Zoologischer Garten
- Onsite massages, Urban Sports Club membership, health program
- Birthday and anniversary gifts
- Volunteering benefits
- Stock options
- Corporate benefits
- Recognition and referral program
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Great Team Events
Some Press and Blog Posts About Us:
Our analytics blog posts:
“Mapping all of the Earth’s roads and buildings from Space” -- Planet Blog
“Sub-weekly detection of deforestation” -- Planet blog
“Spatiotemporal Analytics on Geospatial Imagery” -- Planet Blog