Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the role:
Planet is looking for a Satellite Data Processing Engineer to support the Order Fulfillment team in Berlin.
Our mission is to help Planet to convert imagery contracts (thus analytics) into billable events by producing the right quality, quantity and timeliness of imagery products as defined by Product Specification or Contractual Terms. Another main objective is the continuous improvement of our system, its products and the integration of new data.
The main focus of the team is the data processing and quality control of Dove and SkySat imagery and products as well as order management.
- Operate Image Processing Systems
- Perform Image Quality Control
- Meet delivery deadlines
- Ensure quality standards
Skills and Experience:
- Fundamentals of remote sensing
- Experience with image processing
- Good knowledge of photogrammetry, GIS systems and spatial data
- Knowledge of database systems (preferably Oracle or PostgreSQL)
- Proficient knowledge of the Python programming language
- Familiarity with UNIX and Windows operating systems
- Must enjoy being part of a multidisciplinary team
- Self-starter, works on own initiative, with effective communication to team and supervisor
- Ambitious and committed to achieving success
- Working experience in a satellite ground segment system and knowledge of remote sensing/GIS scripting languages (e.g. PCI EASI, GDAL) are an asset
- Professional proficiency in English
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.