Timeline: By January of 2020, specific internships will be posted under the “Internships Summer 2020” Tab on the careers page. You can re-visit our website in January to apply to a specific role and can expect to hear back from us no later than March of 2020.
Please submit a resume and cover letter sharing why you are specifically interested in Planet. In addition, the application will ask you to choose a specific Planet department that you would like to be considered for.
If selected, your internship will start around your school schedule and we will connect you with other individuals in your internship class before you get started.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
The areas where we are seeking interns include:
- Computer Science and Programmers - We're writing software for satellites, ground stations, backend network infrastructure, scalability, automation, optimization and the web.
- GIS programming and image processing - Our imagery pipeline depends on georectification, orthorectification, color calibration, feature detection, machine vision, stitching, and tiling.
- Hackers - We always need good, scrappy programmers to jump on a team to help to script up some automated testing, set up GoPros to timelapse the development of a satellite, and customize inventory management tools to prototyping applications - we'll find many projects to keep you busy!
- Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical Engineers, and Embedded Programmers - You would design and build incredible spacecraft and ground stations. This involves great hands-on experience working with the world's best aerospace engineering team. But you have to pull your weight and it is all hardware-in-the-loop development and testing. This is a small team and we'll be looking for people to lead a future critical path item autonomously. We work with SolidWorks, Eagle, and MATLAB.
- Designers, Artists and Videographers - Talented designers and artists are desired for internal and external branding, UX, UI, collateral, and video production of b-side videos.
- Product Management and Company Operations - As a rapidly growing company, we're constantly looking for the next great way to improve our operations and team management - if you're a creative, driven leader, drop us a line.
- Business and Partnership Development - As large and interesting our engineering challenges are, our business and partnership development is just as important and audacious - you'll be helping to shape our customer base, research new product applications, and make crucial partnerships with foundations and organizations.
- People Operations- with growth in our business comes growth in our team and you'll help ensure this remains an amazing place to work.
- and of course ... Aerospace Engineering - From systems operations to orbital mechanics, we face many space-specific challenges with which we'd love your help.
Please send us your resume as well as a cover letter giving us the dates of interest and proposed areas where you'd like to contribute. Please highlight a side project that you work on that show your passion (either aligned with your core expertise or otherwise) and give us links to any open-source projects you contribute to.