Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. Our fleet of 100+ orbiting spacecraft deliver an unprecedented firehose of imagery that captures the entire Earth’s landmass nearly every day at 3m/pixel resolution. This combination of temporal frequency, spatial resolution and global coverage represents a groundbreaking technological advancement that enables new kinds of data analytics and powers solutions to many global-scale problems.
Planet is both a space company and a software & analytics company, all rolled into one. Our internal cloud infrastructure manages the data transfer, processing and serving of millions of images. This includes workflows such as downlinking images from space, geometrically rectifying petabytes of archived imagery, training deep learning models for computer vision and time series analysis and serving inference in real time. We build interactive web applications to label imagery, train machine learning models, and finally showcase our imagery and analytic insights to customers.
If you are passionate about space, geospatial data and machine learning, Planet is the right choice. Reasons to join us include:
- We are a young and successful cube-sat company, unique in its domain. We have developed a new way to quickly build and test satellites, and launched upwards of 400 satellites into space.
- You get to work with a geospatial dataset that is new to humankind. Imagery of the entire globe, every day. Think of the possibilities.
- You will work on cutting-edge applications that leverage deep learning on remote sensing.
- You will build interactive machine learning-powered products that get served at a global scale.
- You will work in a dynamic, talented and inclusive work environment. All opinions matter and you learn a lot from your peers.
- All departments are in the same building. You sit together and learn from teams like spacecraft, mission control and launch.
- You get to watch several rocket launches per year, sometimes in person.
In the Analytics Engineering team, we are focused on developing customer-facing geospatial intelligence products that will change how our industry measures global activity. For example, we can build systems that detect deforestation within a few days from occurring, anywhere in the world. Our customers come from a range of sectors, including commercial, environmental and humanitarian. We launched our first product line, Planet Analytics Feeds earlier this year and rapidly scaling our capabilities across verticals and industries.
We have an industry leading web geospatial engineering team, obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems and inventing the future of how people interact with geospatial imagery. We are looking for a hands on senior engineer with applied product experience to join us.
- Leading the design and development of full stack geospatial web services running actions and transformations on Planet’s imagery
- Understand the data needs including schema, frequency of the data (either streaming, daily, hourly etc) by collaborating closely with machine learning engineers and data scientists
- Collaborate closely with product managers and solution engineers to define granularity of engineering deliverables to product roadmap
- Providing technical leadership to a collaborative team of full-stack software developers and data engineers
- Facilitate and make technical decisions that drive the long term vision and architecture of data engineering within the Planet platform
- Collaborate closely with peers on other engineering teams and interface frequently with product and design teams
- 5+ years experience developing and shipping data software in a production context at scale
- Demonstrated ability to develop scalable data pipelines and infrastructure
- Solid understanding of and experience developing and working with web-based APIs
- Strong, industry leading understanding of software architecture and testing patterns
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a software development team that uses version control, code reviews and regular deployments.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience implementing interactive full stack web applications with geospatial raster and vector data
- Few years of experience building production software and interacting with geospatial API services
Some interesting articles and press:
“Mapping all of the Earth’s roads and buildings from Space” -- Planet Blog
“Sub-weekly detection of deforestation” -- Planet blog
“Spatiotemporal Analytics on Geospatial Imagery” -- Planet Blog
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.