Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Our Payload Group is looking for a Camera/Sensor Instrumentation Engineer to help us operate, optimize, and further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space! We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payload. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Mission Operations group. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Characterizing new sensors in terms of resolution and radiometry in the lab
- Developing lab and space-borne camera calibration automation methods
- Developing and validating camera performance and payload performance metrics
- Troubleshooting camera image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and improvements
- Contributing to the design and modeling of new imaging systems and operating modes
- Collaborating with satellite operations, imaging pipeline, hardware (optics/EE), and embedded software teams
- A passion for photography, earth sciences, and geography
- Deep familiarity with sensor technology, vendors and standards
- Strong lab/instrumentation experience, including test automation
- 5+ years relevant experience in instrumentation and test development
- Experience leveraging scientific MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to develop and automate novel imaging algorithms
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- BS/MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
- 5+ years GIS/Remote Sensing/Mapping work experience
- Solid Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Dynamical Systems foundation
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.