Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About The Role:
Our Payload Group is looking for a Camera/Sensor Instrumentation Engineer to help us operate, optimize, and further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space! We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payload. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Mission Operations group. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
Impact You'll Own:
- Characterizing new sensors in terms of resolution and radiometry in the lab
- Developing lab and space-borne camera calibration automation methods
- Developing and validating camera performance and payload performance metrics
- Troubleshooting camera image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and improvements
- Contributing to the design and modeling of new imaging systems and operating modes
- Collaborating with satellite operations, imaging pipeline, hardware (optics/EE), and embedded software teams
What You Bring:
- A passion for photography, earth sciences, and geography
- Deep familiarity with sensor technology, vendors and standards
- Strong lab/instrumentation experience, including test automation
- 5+ years relevant experience in instrumentation and test development
- Experience leveraging scientific MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to develop and automate novel imaging algorithms
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- BS/MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 5+ years GIS/Remote Sensing/Mapping work experience
- Solid Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Dynamical Systems foundation
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and at a recent Dreamforce Talk
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.