Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
We are looking for an experienced, hands on Mfg. Engineer to be responsible for the process design and improvement and NPI implementation. The successful candidate will be able to improve manufacturing processes in order to gain efficiency and capacity, reduce cost, improve sustainability and maximize resource utilization. The person in this position will work closely with product design engineers (ME and EE), manufacturing personnel, test and maintenance as well as supply chain teams.
- Develop, configure and optimize mfg. processes from inception through to start up and validation
- Prepare specifications and requirements for processes and equipment
- Assess processes, take measurements, interpret data and develop future state value stream map
- Conduct gap analysis and create bridge map to achieve desired future state
- Conduct Lean KAIZEN events including Lean Methodology Training
- Develop best practices, routines and innovative solutions to improve production rates and quality of output
- Perform process simulations and digital KAIZEN
- Perform day-to-day manufacturing support on the production line
- Perform risk assessments (FMEA)
- Provide process documentation and operating instructions
- Proven work experience in process engineering
- Excellent communication skills
- 4-year engineering degree required
- 3 to 5 years of experience in manufacturing or assembly operations
- Strong mechanical aptitude and desire to work in manufacturing
- Experience with CAD and process simulation software desired
- Familiarity with health and safety regulations (OSHA)
- Analytical thinker with interpersonal skills
- Lean Six Sigma Certification preferred (Green Belt or Black Belt)
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.