Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About The Role:
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer to lead design trades, system modeling efforts, and mission design analysis for existing and future satellite constellations. In this role, you will be instrumental in making our on-orbit assets function more efficiently, as well as feed systems-level information forward to future design enhancements. You will use the wealth of on-orbit data from Planet’s history to improve the reliability, robustness, and throughput of our operational fleet. An ideal candidate would be familiar with both mission systems engineering and satellite hardware, be able to conceptualize and construct system models, and be an excellent communicator of technical information.
What You Bring:
- 6+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Strong fundamental understanding of aerospace and embedded systems
- Experience in system modeling and systems analysis that generates actionable data
- Constellation design analysis, including coverage/revisit, ground station contact analysis, and data budgets
- Experience with STK or equivalent orbital mechanics and constellation design tools
- Strong software development and programming knowledge
- Strong communication skills, writing and interpersonal abilities, positive attitude, diplomacy and persuasiveness, analytical ability, judgment, and managerial skills
- Demonstrable core values of fairness, inclusivity, and compassion
- Demonstrable experience providing mentorship and career development for both hardware and embedded software engineers
- BS in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or similar
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Solid understanding of the product development lifecycle process, including analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management
- Experience taking a product from concept phase through prototyping, launch and maintaining operations
- Experience working in a satellite systems engineering, integration, and test environment
- Knowledge of Python programming language
- Post secondary degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or similar
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and at a recent Dreamforce Talk
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.