Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
We are currently seeking a Systems Engineer to lead design trades, system modeling efforts, and mission design analysis for existing and future satellite constellations. In this role, you will be instrumental in making our on-orbit assets function more efficiently, as well as feed systems-level information forward to future design enhancements. You will use the wealth of on-orbit data from Planet’s history to improve the reliability, robustness, and throughput of our operational fleet. An ideal candidate would be familiar with both mission systems engineering and satellite hardware, be able to conceptualize and construct system models, and be an excellent communicator of technical information.
- 6+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Strong fundamental understanding of aerospace and embedded systems
- Experience in system modeling and systems analysis that generates actionable data
- Constellation design analysis, including coverage/revisit, ground station contact analysis, and data budgets
- Experience with STK or equivalent orbital mechanics and constellation design tools
- Strong software development and programming knowledge
- Strong communication skills, writing and interpersonal abilities, positive attitude, diplomacy and persuasiveness, analytical ability, judgment, and managerial skills
- Demonstrable core values of fairness, inclusivity, and compassion
- Demonstrable experience providing mentorship and career development for both hardware and embedded software engineers
- BS in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or similar
Nice to Haves:
- Solid understanding of the product development lifecycle process, including analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management
- Experience taking a product from concept phase through prototyping, launch and maintaining operations
- Experience working in a satellite systems engineering, integration, and test environment
- Knowledge of Python programming language
- Post secondary degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or similar
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.