Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Our Imaging Operations Team is looking for an Image Reconstruction Engineer/Scientist to help us operate, optimize, and further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space. We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payload. Our Payload group works at the intersection of hardware, software, and Product Engineering teams in the Space Systems Division. Good candidates will find it fun to work at the intersection of photography, science, systems engineering, and operations. The candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing, operating and validating on-orbit image resolution metrics
- Developing, operating and validating on-orbit image sharpening pipelines
- Developing, operating and validating image reconstruction algorithms like demosaicing and super-resolution for current and future payloads
- Troubleshooting image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and improvements
- Support operating our hundreds of payloads and the development of new imaging products
- Contributing to the design and modeling of new imaging systems using filter arrays and on-board image processing
- Collaborating with satellite operations, Imaging Pipeline, HW (Optics, EE) and embedded software teams
- A passion for photography, earth sciences and geography
- 5+ years experience in signal processing, camera hardware and resolution management
- Extreme proficiency in leveraging scientific MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux environment to imaging algorithms at scale or onboard
- Hands-on can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Optics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
- 5+ years Solid Experience Developing Software automation for imaging pipelines
- Solid Photogrammetry, Machine Learning and Dynamical Systems foundation
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.