Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
As a Product Manager at Planet, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise and product vision. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire product lifecycle. This includes managing coordinating stakeholder input, product roadmap and schedules, identifying risks, and clearly communicating them to stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
You will be primarily responsible for the evolution of Planet’s core imagery catalogue. You’ll be responsible for managing the evolution of Planet’s imagery catalogue to a dynamic source of content that produces countless imagery products for users downstream; whether they be customers or internal analytic models. You will work very closely with the core API PM and engineering teams to clearly understand downstream requirements of the catalogue. In addition, you will work closely with the Imagery Production PM to communicate and agree on clear requirements for data entering the catalogue.
- Evolve Planet’s core imagery catalogue into a kit of building blocks that support infinite downstream products
- Build and maintain a roadmap for transforming the current catalogue, working with engineering to identify common building blocks and operations that create downstream products our customers order
- Work closely with Sales and Product Marketing to understand customer needs and how to ensure our catalogue supports user workflows and on-demand production requirements
- Design and roll out new models for conceptualizing Planet’s imagery catalogue - working to maintain engineering buy-in and co-ownership of vision
- Provide guidance to clients, partners, and team members for issue resolution within Planet and the client organization
- Partner with Product Marketing and Sales teams to measure and oversee customer experience quality throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Work across the entire organization to cultivate and drive the product roadmap
- Ensure consistent execution of product lifecycle process from concept to launch through management of people and projects.
- Work closely with executive team members and department leaders, manage competitive industry analysis and identify areas for differentiation.
- Set project priorities and working through team leaders advance projects from development through implementation, including manpower/work plans, reporting, and quality standards.
- Capture and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources: customers, users, Sales, Engineering, Customer Success, Tech Support, etc.
- 5+ years as a power-user of satellite imagery for remote sensing and GIS applications.
- Previous experience with imagery catalogue design and data formats, with a strong intuitive grasp on foundational data structures that can build complex products
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Bachelor's or master's in computer science, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.