Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About The Role:
Electrical Engineer with strong capabilities in board and system design. The individual will be responsible for architecture definition, development, component selection, test development, and integration into next generation satellite designs. Must be comfortable from schematic entry, board design and electrical validation of the design. The position offers an incredible opportunity to work with and learn from industry experts across disciplines, while directly contributing to end design and system performance. The engineer must be self-driven and passionate about technology and agile aerospace design.
What You Bring:
- A passion for electronics
- 10+ years of hands-on experience
- Proven track record of leading development of electronics throughout product cycle: from requirements negotiation, to architecture definition, design, validation and production
- Architectural definition and system performance analysis
- Define electrical component requirements based on overall system performance requirements
- Lead cross-functional collaboration and design
- Experience developing electronics with:
- SOCs, microcontrollers, microprocessors (ARM), FPGAs
- Processor peripheral interfaces (USB, I2C, SPI, storage, high speed serial I/F’s, PCI-Express, MIPI, LVDS, SDI)
- Design for high speed signal integrity and Class B EMC
- Power supply design and power integrity
- Battery pack and solar powered charger designs
- Sensors and integration into products
- Analog electrical design
- Strong working knowledge of best practices for PCB & FPC layout and fabrication
- Experience in taking designs from schematic design through manufacturing
- Experience with bring-up, debug, and validation of digital designs
- Experience with lab equipment, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and multimeters
- Ability to quickly pick up and own new concepts and to contribute with innovative solutions
- Comfortable with writing bring-up code and data mining in C or Python
- Sound judgment and deep understanding of system-level impact of design choices
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Thorough, disciplined, methodical documentation habits
- Demonstrates best-practice design methodologies to achieve high performance designs
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to perform simple mechanical assembly for quick prototypes
- Experience with RF design and layout
- Medium scale high mix, low volume, high margin and/or mass manufacturing experience
- Comfortable building proof-of-concept design and initial prototype hardware
- Conduct PCB Layout
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and at a recent Dreamforce Talk
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.