Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet efficiently and safely operates several medium and high resolution spacecraft constellations. Managing these valuable assets is a highly technical feat and the teams that do so, consist of skilled engineers from a variety of backgrounds, having collectively worked on more than 30 space missions.
This full-time position is responsible for the efficient and safe operation of hundreds of medium resolution imaging satellites spread across the RapidEye and Dove satellite constellations. A Space Systems Engineer is responsible for spacecraft commissioning and anomaly resolution, performing on-orbit experiments and special activities, and developing tools and processes to support efficient multi-mission operations. Our goal is to minimize manual operator oversight, so a large part of this role will be automating ongoing mission operations and optimizing workflows.
Our operating environment is complex and unique, so an ability to quickly comprehend our hardware and the physical space environment is extremely important. An aerospace background and experience with operations of spacecraft, UAVs, tele-operated vehicles, robotics, or other exotic hardware is desirable, and an ability to learn and quickly grasp complex physical systems is a must. This position will also require being on call as part of a service reliability team, sharing in- and out-of-office hour responsibilities.
- Develop a thorough understanding of a spacecraft bus, and how it is operated.
- Build and edit python scripts to carry out activities on a spacecraft.
- Monitor all spacecraft for proper operation, responding to all off-nominal contingencies (telemetry limit violations, configuration and status changes, subsystem and operational anomalies, etc).
- Participate in on-call rotation in support of spacecraft uptime.
- Develop automated responses and processes for any manual operations.
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering or other engineering/science related field from an accredited college or technical school
- Familiarity of basic aerospace concepts such as orbital dynamics, attitude determination and control, power subsystems
- Experience with Python scripting, command line interface, Unix/Linux and Git version control.
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development.
- Experience in exploratory data analysis and visualization
- Above average organizational skills (including using project management tools and issue trackers)
- A keen ability to keep several independent efforts in mind simultaneously and be able to rapidly context-switch between them
- Previous satellite operations, space mission experience or space systems integration & test experience.
- Experience using geospatial data.
- Experience in risk assessment/management and failure investigation
- Experience in optimization (simulated annealing, GA, other)
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.