Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
As an Orbits R&D Engineer, you will work on a small team of dedicated engineers responsible for the Flight Dynamics and Mission Planning on Planet’s fleet of satellites. The Flight Dynamics disciplines of this team include orbit determination, phasing (with maneuvers or differential-drag) and conjunction analysis & mitigation, while Mission Planning is concerned with the scheduling of imaging and contacts for Planet’s Dove and Skysat constellations. These disciplines all involve large-scale optimization and operations problems, and many of which are unique given Planet’s large heterogeneous fleet of >200 satellites on-orbit. You will be responsible for performing technical analysis and developing systems to support the responsibilities of the team.
The Must Haves:
- Degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field
- Background and familiarity astrodynamics / orbital mechanics.
- Experience in solving optimization problems
- Strong programming background
- Familiarity with software engineering tools and processes (version control, code review, regression testing)
- Self-starter for solving problems.
- Ability to carry out first-principles analysis and identify MVP solutions
- Attention to detail
- Ability to operationalize ideas
- Advanced degree in Aerospace Engineering or related field
- Experience with Python, C++
- Knowledge of State Estimation
- Enthusiasm to dig down rabbit holes to debug an issue when needed.
- Established record of solving aerospace problems involving Flight Dynamics and Mission Planning.
- Significant publications or conference presentations
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.