Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
We are currently seeking a Product Manager.
As a Product Manager at Planet, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise and product vision. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire product lifecycle. This includes managing coordinating stakeholder input, product roadmap and schedules, identifying risks, and clearly communicating them to stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
You will be primarily responsible for the development of our user-facing tools and applications: helping users navigate through our vast catalogue of imagery and analytic products, and shaping cutting-edge image technologies to meet a diverse set of workflows . You’ll be driving the product strategy of our suite of internet-facing tools to best meet the needs of a growing user-base: coordinating the requirements from a wide variety of imagery users with the development teams building our world class imagery pipeline, our missions team, and third-party imagery providers. Your position is important in creating a seamless and streamlined end-product: making our ground-breaking technology accessible and easy-to-use.
- Product Strategy - Help craft a strong unified vision and strategy for our user-visible product offerings and build support among stakeholders
- Requirements Gathering - Gather requirements from the market and clearly document within product requirements documents
- Product Roadmap - Prioritize requirements and place them in quarterly product roadmap
- Progress Tracking - Coordinate progress reporting and delivery of product features
- Efficiency - Work to keep the development teams unblocked
- Quality Assurance - Ensure a product feature meets the requirement before it is shipped
- User Engagement - Measure and report user engagement and use of product features
- User Feedback - Gather feedback on product directly from users and the Sales team, ensure this is taken into consideration in planning
- Communication - Communicate product requirements to development teams. Communicate product roadmap to company.
- Education - Ensure Sales and Marketing team understand capability and availability of the product
- Evangelize - Present and evangelize the product at industry trade shows, conferences
- 2+ years as a product manager of a consumer internet-facing product
- Strong intuitive grasp on UX paradigms, workflows and product usability
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Bachelor's or master's in computer science, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.