Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet’s GeoData Operations primary function is to convert customer contracts into fulfilled orders by ensuring image collection and product delivery in the right quality, quantity and timeliness as defined by Product Specifications and contractual terms. This involves a variety of different processes such as feasibility studies, order management, satellite tasking, performance monitoring, quality control and triggering anomaly resolutions.
The GeoData Operations is a multinational and diverse team mostly based in Berlin, with a small but highly capable team located in Mountain View (California).
Planet is looking for a Director who can lead this team and be responsible for operational effort, process improvement and tool development. This role is based in Berlin, Germany.
- Charged with overall satisfaction of Planet imagery collection orders. Continuously refine processes and procedures to streamline operations and adapt to new business needs.
- Own quality control process and metrics to inform data-driven decisions.
- Proactively identify issues and bottlenecks in processes and systems and proposes solutions.
- Support Sales and Customer Success teams and engage with Customers to negotiate technical specifications or explain system behaviors.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams for triaging bugs and introducing new features.
- Represent your teams in cross-functional meetings and interact with technical and business stakeholders.
- Build and sustain high-performing teams. Create an inclusive team environment, showing concern for team success and well-being.
- Facilitate technical discussions within the team. Promote healthy debate and encourage and support every member of the team to have a voice. If technical disagreements arise, facilitate the discussion towards a solution but always drive and own the final decision.
- Keep things fun. Organize learning and team building opportunities. Stay connected with great talent from all over the company.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Remote Sensing, GIS, Geography or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- 10+ years of working in an data operations and/or production roles, including 5+ years as a people manager responsible for multiple teams.
- Able to define and evolve team mission based on business needs and clearly communicate this to the team and to stakeholders in the company
- Proven ability to lead teams through changes, be a mentor and lead by example
- Ability to lead and collaborate effectively with culturally diverse teams
- Track record of successfully managing and organizing multiple parallel projects and priorities.
- Experience with successfully engaging and collaborating with distributed teams.
- Ability to take initiative in an highly dynamic environment where business needs and technical capabilities are rapidly evolving.
- Advanced verbal and written communications skills (technical fluency in English required).
- Analytical and abstract thinking, ability to connect business needs with technical and operational processes.
- Willing to take a deep dive into a complex systems to solve critical issues and help the team learning how to do this by themselves.
- Willing to travel internationally (as needed) to support business objectives.
The Nice to Haves:
- Familiarity with collection and production of imagery products to include end-to-end order fulfillment processes would be ideal
- Proven experience with databases and programming/scripting for data analysis and visualization
- Strong geospatial backgrounds: PostGIS, GDAL, Python
- Data Science, Machine Learning backgrounds
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video