Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the role:
Planet is looking for a full-time Operations Engineer to support the GeoDataOps team in Berlin. GeoDataOps’ primary function is to convert customer contracts into fulfilled orders by ensuring image collection and product delivery in the right quality, quantity and timeliness as defined by Product Specification and contractual terms. This involves a variety of different processes such as feasibility studies, order management, satellite tasking, performance monitoring and triggering anomaly resolutions.
The Operations Support Engineer enables the team to move towards the completion of these goals. He/she develops tools that bridge the operations needs such as metrics for service level monitoring or quality control tools. This position also assists with the operations and maintenance of production ground segment software and supports in the deployment and testing of new software.
- Creation of data analytics and visualization to support systematic measurement of key performance indicator (KPI) relating to operational performance of order fulfilment systems
- Interfaces with other stakeholders such as Global Customer Success and Software Development teams
- Maintains RapidEye Ground Segment (Data Archiving and Processing Systems)
- Performs troubleshooting (execute run books) and drives system anomaly resolution
- Complements existing operational functionalities with databases, scripts and procedures
- Supports further automation of operational routines
- Technical documentation and training
Skills and Experience:
- 2 years of hands-on experience or equivalent formal training in python and bash scripting
- Experience in Relational Databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Oracle)
- Working experience in basic system administration tasks
- Familiarity with Google cloud infrastructure
- Experience in data analytics and visualization as it relates to operational efficiency
- Fundamentals of Remote Sensing and Geospatial tools such as QGIS, PostGIS, gdal
- Desire to work in a small, dynamic startup environment with rapidly updating priorities and a constant sense of urgency (agile environment)
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Autonomous and team player with excellent communication and collaboration skills
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video