Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
The Head of Investor Relations will work closely with the executive team to develop and implement a investor communications strategy that articulates Planet’s business objectives and differentiated positioning to the investment community and other external and internal audiences. This key leader will manage external communications to investors and financial communications; and will work with communications to ensure messaging consistency across the organization. This individual will act as a company spokesperson for analysts and investors, communicating the company’s vision and brand. This role will work collaboratively across function areas to build effective implementation teams.
Reporting to the CFO, this individual will:
- Create and execute an annual investor relations program to increase Planet’s visibility with the investment community and plot a course of action to strengthen the portfolio of investors that will provide long term stability and support of the stock.
- Communicate Planet’s narrative and company updates in a consistent and timely manner to the investment community and company stakeholders. Serve as a primary contact to handle incoming inquiries from investors.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with investors and analysts. Develop and implement strategies and programs to keep the financial community updated on company performance and industry trends.
- Provide appropriate analyses to help leadership better understand the existing and prospective shareholder base and develop targeted engagement strategies for each.
- Work to establish regional investment strategies with the CFO and Head of Strategy.
- Plan, coordinate and participate in national and international ‘roadshows’ to investors and customers, investor conferences, one on one meetings, and conference calls with the executive team, investors and analysts.
- Lead the process for developing key messages and content for investor communications, investor presentations and materials, press releases, and disclosure of information to shareholders and the financial community.
- Continually scan external factors that potentially impact our client’s business and play a leadership role in establishing and implementing appropriate plans of action for investor relations and corporate communications, as needed.
- In conjunction with other senior leaders, establish a cadence for internal communication in support of the corporate objectives and our client’s unique culture.
Required Professional Experience & Education:
- Ten years of relevant experience in investor relations, corporate communications and related areas, including at least 3 years in the aerospace and/or space industry.
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- IR/PR agency and in-house experience with a public company preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience operating in the financial and investment markets relevant to our Planet’s business.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, managing and executing a successful, comprehensive strategic communications program to advance the business’s vision, mission and strategic objectives; including experience supporting a multi-product pipeline.
- Demonstrated experience at excelling at the strategic and tactical aspects of investor relations.
- Experience with, and a working knowledge of, SEC disclosure requirements, compliance elements inherent in a regulated industry, investor communications best practices, and preparing investment presentations.
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills.
- Superior oral and written communications skills; ability to distill complex technical and business issues and communicate them in a simple, effective manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills; successful track record as both a leader and team player in a highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
- Position requires a fair amount of travel, which may be unplanned and may require several-day events (e.g., conferences, non-deal roadshows). Estimated requirement is 20-30% of work time.
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.