Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Charged to lead the NPI build process, manufacturing engineering, reporting directly to the VP of MFG. Must be a battle-tested process and manufacturing engineer capable of operating on the razor's edge of constant high speed iteration to lead continuous improvement projects, support new product launches and provide sustaining support of the manufacturing process, evangelizing the needs of DFx to the development team ensuring that the products that are designed can be assembled and produced to cost, quality, and schedule standards. This role is highly visible with great growth potential.
- Provide hands on support to the manufacturing and test processes, resolving day to day production issues.
- Manage the scope, schedule and budget for new continuous improvement projects. Drive projects through implementation in manufacturing.
- Develop manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment.
- Develop clear and well understood documentation which includes but is not limited to protocols, deviations, drawings, and documentation for the manufacturing process and quality test procedures.
- Ensure product and process quality by designing test processes and methods; establishing standards for measuring finished product and process capabilities; drive continuous improvement in manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Design, build and manage the smooth operation of production lines capable of building Planet’s highly versatile line of technology. This includes everything from assembly and build process to factory layout, vendor qualification, and quality management.
- Provide manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; estimating future requirements.
- Prepare product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain product and process tracking database across build cycles.
- Complete design and development projects by training and guiding technicians and managing day to day operations (includes quality engineers, MFG engineers and technicians)
- Design experiments to characterize hardware through testing - provide inputs and recommendations to greater team.
- Train, enable, and mentor production staff.
- Enable change management to continuously improve efficiencies and performances via repeatable processes, people growth, and elimination of work duplication.
- Supervision and responsibility over direct labor (Production staffing).
The Must Haves:
Advanced Engineering degree with 7+ years work experience in:
- Process Engineering
- Leadership and project management -- Ability to multitask several projects and manage technicians and junior engineers
- Manufacturing engineering, process engineering, product design, and extensive NPI
- Clearly able to communicate and advocate
- Complete end to end manufacturing documentation, process development and analysis with deep understanding
- Providing DFM/DFX guidelines to the cross-functional teams and ensure manufacturability across the supply chain, partners and CMs.
- Quality management
- Mastery of CAD tools (Solidworks and Altium) and various statistical software’s
- Process engineering - knowledge of Reliability engineering
- Professional experiences in “owned” factory operations.
- Design / selection of production processes/equipment/consumables/etc.
- Experience in predictive software design packages and 6-Sigma certifications.
- Superior Project/Timeline (Consumer Electronics Integrated Project Management) adherence experiences.
- Manufacturing throughput and capacity analysis.
- Knowledge of PPAP, Process Capability, GR&R, PMP, basic GD&T, basic cost estimation/management, and process control plans.
- Compliance to Labor practices and understanding of CoGS
Some press about us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall's TED Talk
"Tiny Satellites ushering in the New Space Revolution" Bloomberg Businessweek
"The All-Seeing Eye in the Sky video" Bloomberg Businessweek video
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.