Welcome to Planet Labs. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
We have a big vision at Planet Labs; we are focused on Mission 1: Image the entire Earth, every day, and democratize access to these data and tools. With our humble beginnings in a Cupertino garage, to a scrappy team of engineers hacking our initial satellite builds, we now find ourselves with brand new technology, market traction and an expanding team.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Be a part of our mission and help build a company that is changing the world.
We are currently looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our Corporate Engineering team.
This role is best suited for generalists who are interested in both building web applications and diving deep into infrastructure operations.
You'll help us operate our existing internal services that support every team in the company, every day. That means maintaining third-party vendor applications (like Jira, Confluence, Gitlab, etc.), and building custom web applications that improve the day-to-day lives of Planeteers across the company.
You'll have the chance to write code, dive deep into operating distributed systems, networks, information security, automation, and much more.
The Must Haves:
- 3+ years of prior DevOps / Systems Administration experience.
- 1+ years of operating vendor applications (Jira, Confluence, Gitlab, etc)
- Linux experience is a must. Other operating systems are a plus.
- Experience with Python or similar languages are a must. The more languages you’ve worked with, the better.
- Experience building, running, and maintaining full-stack web applications
- Open-source monitoring solutions (Nagios, Zabbix, Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana).
- Open-source logging solutions (Logstash).
- Relational databases (Postgresql, MySQL).
- Source control (git, svn).
- Build automation systems (Jenkins)
- Configuration management tools (Chef, Ansible, Puppet, Salt Stack)
- Infrastructure automation (Cloudformation, Terraform)
- Linux Containers (LXC, Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
- Active Directory and SAML experience
- Information Security & Penetration Testing (CISSP, OSCP, OSCE and GIAC certifications are all a huge plus)
- Enjoys technical mentorship of junior devops engineers
Some recent press about us:
"A Tech Start-Up Just Restored My Faith in Humanity" by Kevin Roose, NY Magazine
"A Start-Up Provides a Picture of Our Shape-Shifting Planet" by Quentin Hardy, NYTimes Bits
Planet Labs is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth. If you are feeling inspired, check out our website www.planet.com/careers and apply. Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit, and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet Labs.