RabbitMQ Messaging Specialist
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
Always be kind: a simple daily affirmation and one that feels more like a personal mission statement than a corporate motto -- but Pivotal isn’t just any corporation. Underpinning our world-class capabilities in cloud-native software delivery and agile development methodologies is one common thread: empathy. Not only do we want to transform the way the world builds software, we also want to make sure that sustainable pace, kindness, and diversity are at the core of every enterprise.
Known for taking an iterative approach, our 2000+ employees are empowered every day to help shape the way we build software. Pivotal is committed to open source, a diverse culture, and fostering safe spaces for all of our individual employees.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than re-architecting a cloud platform from scratch. Pair programming has always been something that you wanted to try out.
You have deep experience in asynchronous message patterns with an AMQP based broker
You have experience and empathy for treating messaging Infrastructure as Code using modern, automation and deployment techniques
You have an obsession with the developer experience
Furthering your education has always been a goal of yours. Learning new programming languages, frameworks and techniques piques your interest.
Contributing to open source software makes you feel good about the transparency it brings to an organization's code quality.
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Pivotal Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We stick to a strict 8 hour a day schedule (with flexible start and end times). Although on-call rotations are part of most teams incidents are exceedingly rare.
A majority of our time is spent pairing in our London office but enabling remote teamwork has become a priority for us. We use Slack to stay connected and Screenhero or Tmux for pairing. We are working hard to make sure that our distributed teams function as smoothly as our distributed systems.
You'll rarely be alone when developing; from pairing all day to 1 on 1 time with your manager, there is always a Pivot there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior engineering leadership is built right into our process - you’ll always be empowered.
Making an investment in each Pivot’s professional development improves the organization as a whole. We encourage you to go to conferences or purchase those pricey O'Reilly books - and we’ll give you a budget each year to do it.
Desired Skills / Experience
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into complex distributed system problems and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring asynchronous messaging uses cases, operational patterns, and practices
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Have an obsession with creating the best user experience possible for the products that you create
- Exposure to designing and implementing messaging topologies
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Exposure to one of RabbitMQ, Apache Qpid, Apache Kafka or StormMQ
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Worked with large Go/Ruby/Java/Erlang codebases
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributes to an open source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting
- A consultancy background which gave you exposure to collaborating with end users to create the best possible results
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.