Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
Pivotal is seeking an engineer with experience selling or implementing in-memory data grid products or similar solutions. The Data Engineer role at Pivotal is focused on customer success both before and after the software sale. Strong technical, consultative, and sales skills are required. We are specifically targeting engineers who can effectively support sales of our open-source in-memory data grid product, GemFire.
At Pivotal, our mission is to transform how people build software. Central to that is being great at working with data. Whether managing data, analyzing it or connecting it with applications, the Pivotal Data Suite provides tools that help organizations derive value from data. Pivotal is a software company that uses a cutting edge development methodology, next-generation cloud platform, and big data analytics to accelerate digital transformation for the world's largest enterprises and most admired brands.
- Communicate the business value delivered by the technical features of the Pivotal Data Suite
- Use use-cases and examples to communicate product value
- Work with Data Sales Specialists and Project Data Engineers to ensure customer success
- Communicate complex technical concepts to architects.
- Manage and execute product evaluations with customers
- Regular ravel to client and prospective client sites, estimated at 30% travel
- Experience with selling or deploying in-memory data grids, or equivalent enterprise solutions
- 5+ years experience in technology roles such as customer-facing pre-sales Engineer or Consultant
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Java/Spring development skills with recent hands-on experience
Desirable Experience, Characteristics, and Skills
- Able to see and communicate the big picture
- Able to architect solutions for transactional and event processing related use cases
- Able to evangelize products, people, and process to drive adoption of Pivotal products and services
- Ability to deliver impromptu presentations via white board
- Strong customer facing and relationship building skills including
- Strong listening and question based knowledge gathering skills
- Works both independently and collaboratively as needed
- Direct experience working with other IMDG products
- RDBMS experience
- Linux system administration
- Understanding of parallel processing approaches and concepts is a very strong asset
- Understanding of the hardware and networking architecture behind large scale clustered systems
- Understanding of a variety of commonly-used analytic techniques and the models underlying them
- Industry knowledge of data technology, including Spring Data, Hadoop stack components, and other NOSQL and document type databases.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, related field or equivalent experience
Compensation: At Pivotal, your On-Target Earnings are real, not virtual. We offer a competitive base salary plus a semi-annual bonus structure that is tied your achievement and to the company’s performance.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.