PCF Technical Instructor
You love explaining how technology works and being “hands on” with it. You have strong technical skills and love learning new technologies. Helping others learn new technologies and grow their skills is equally as important. You love to make complex topics simple and value the power of narratives.
You understand that a having a well-trained customer is key to our success. You enjoy teaching and mentoring customers in a classroom setting and are motivated toward seeing the light bulb go on when they begin to understand how best to use our products. You measure your personal success by how well the students understand what you’ve taught them.
You are comfortable with frequent travel (roughly 50% monthly) and working with diverse organizations, having a mix of skill levels.
You see the impact cloud technologies are having on industries and people’s lives.
Pivotal, the company at the intersection of big data, PaaS, and agile development, helps companies transform into great software companies. Pivotal offers a modern approach to technology that organizations need to thrive in a new era of business innovation. Our solutions intersect cloud, big data and agile development, creating a framework that increases data leverage, accelerates application delivery, and decreases costs, while providing enterprises the speed and scale they need to compete.
Pivotal’s offerings include the Big Data Suite, the most complete approach to enterprise data lakes and advanced analytics; Pivotal Cloud Foundry, the industry leading Platform as a Service product; and world leading ultra-agile application development through Pivotal Labs. Open source is an important part of our strategy. Many of our products are already open source; those that are not will be soon.
You will often be engaged in onsite delivery of our course material to customers and partners. These deliveries range from 3-day courses to 5-day courses. In some cases these deliveries won’t be in person, but delivered online using technologies such as WebEx. When not delivering training, you will be sharpening your technical skills through any of the following activities.
- Testing new lab exercises and providing feedback to the content team
- Learning additional course material to broaden your course delivery portfolio
- Working directly with the field and customers assisting with proof-of-concept engagements
- Researching topics related to our products and the associated domains in which they are applied
Ideally, this position will be based near one of our Pivotal offices in San Francisco, Chicago or Boulder, Colorado. As an office-based employee (when not traveling and delivering training), you have the additional benefit of taking advantage of the Pivotal culture on a day-to-day basis. To make sure you start your day energized, all our offices provide a catered breakfast every weekday morning, and unlimited snacks/drinks are of course available all day. Our collaborative, open-plan office spaces are filled with talented people who enjoy taking advantage of our weekly Tech Talks, playing ping pong, and hanging out with their co-workers.
Desired Skills/ Experience:
- Hands-on experience with cloud technologies. (You have used major cloud technologies like AWS, Azure, vSphere or Open Stack and maybe even worked with PaaS technologies.)
- Ability to help others understand technology through variety of delivery modes. (You are comfortable in a classroom setting as well as online training formats)
- Consultative background and skillset. (You have worked with other organizations inside or outside of your company to help them be successful through your training and assistance)
- Hands-on experience with Spring and Spring Boot is a must. (You can comfortably write a Spring Boot application and discuss the strength of Spring Boot as an enabling technology for microservices.)
- Experience with Go, Ruby, C++ and .NET is a bonus.
- Facility with the UNIX operating system. (You know how to tell what processes are running and how to list hidden dot files. You are comfortable in a UNIX shell and can write simple scripts.)
- Ability to dive into complex systems and contribute while learning. (You learn while doing.)
- Team oriented. (You thrive on collaborating across teams in a fast-paced environment.)
- You can work independently, manage your time and coordinate all aspects of your travel as required for delivering training at customer locations.
- Experience working with data systems is a bonus (You are familiar with how to write queries, create database tables, work with NoSql databases, etc)
BA/BS in a related field, or equivalent experience.