Building the world's largest multi-technology distributed computing platforms, leveraging massively parallel processing and Hadoop, Pivotal is committed to pioneering data-intensive analytic processing. We are looking for talented individuals to join our growing analytics solutions team, which is developing a fundamentally new approach to how business generates value from data. This team will develop new methodologies and tools to enable advanced modeling and statistical analysis against petabyte-scale data sets.
Our Data Scientists create new sources of data-driven innovation and value for our customers and prospects while proving the analytical capabilities of Pivotal’s technology stack. They help customers respond to their top-priority business goals by introducing new ways to tap their exploding data assets, using statistical methods, machine learning, and predictive models. PivotalData Scientists develop new practices and methodologies for working with the Pivotal datawarehouse technology, often working closely with leading academics and industry experts. They also work with industry-leading engineers to create new tools and features that support sophisticated analytics within the database.
Pivotal is aggressively building out its Data Scientist team and is looking for the best and brightest subject-matter experts across verticals and analytical techniques. If you bring a deep focus and passion for a particular specialization within analytics (e.g., text or sentiment analytics, network/graph analytics, time series modeling, etc.), or a key vertical market (i.e., life sciences, digital media, energy, etc.) we would love to talk to you!
- Use techniques from supervised and unsupervised machine learning, statistical analysis and predictive modeling to deliver business insights to prospects and customers based on datastored in Pivotal data warehouses.
- Work directly with customers to educate them on “moving beyond BI” and training their internal resources to execute advanced forms of analytics on Pivotal.
- Create re-usable implementations of statistical tests and models using the available technologies in the Pivotal ecosystem.
- Work with the academic and business community to develop new techniques and to contribute to research in the area of advanced analytics on large databases.
- Generate new product requirements for the Pivotal engineering group to enhance the analytics capabilities of the database.
- Assist in customer engagement management, requirements definition, project scoping, timeline management, and results documentation to ensure professional relationship management.
- A proven passion for generating insights from data, with a strong familiarity with the higher-level trends in data growth, open-source platforms, and public data sets.
- Strong knowledge of statistical methods generally, and particularly in the areas of modeling and business analytics
- Experience with statistical languages and packages, including R, S-Plus, SAS and Matlab, and/or Mahout
- Experience working with relational databases and/or distributed computing platforms, and their query interfaces, such as SQL, MapReduce, PIG, and Hive.
- Experience with additional programming languages, including Python, Java, and C/C++.
- Familiarity with visualization software and techniques (including Tableau), and business intelligence (BI) software, such as Microstrategy, Cognos, Pentaho, etc.
- Preferably, experience working hands-on with large-scale data sets
- Degree in an analytical or technical field (e.g. applied mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, operations research)
- A strong business-orientation, able to select the appropriate complex quantitative methodologies in response to specific business goals
- A team player, capable of conducting independent research, who is excited by and motivated by hard technical challenges
- Results-driven, self-motivated, self-starter
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a proven ability to translate complex methodologies and analytical results to higher-level business insights and key take-aways
- Ability to travel as-needed to meet with customers
- Because this position will involve a lot of work with government clients, US Citizenship or US Permanent Residence is a requirement
Pivotal is setting the pace in the Big Data Analytics space. We are growing rapidly and providing solutions to major companies in the industry. We offer individuals a generous compensation/benefits package as well as equity in our company.