PIVOTAL’S STORY (VIDEO)
PIVOTAL CLOUD FOUNDRY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR
Team: Pivotal Cloud Foundry Solutions
Location: Washington, DC
To drive a healthy business and culture with regards to the Platform Journey Delivery team out of Pivotal’s DC office with high focus on our Federal Sector.
Pivotal has seen tremendous success with its focus on enablement and company-wide transformation projects. As Pivotal evolves and grows, we're looking for leadership to manage a team of highly skilled Solution Architects and support a surrounding region focused on the Federal Sector.
As the right candidate, you will mentor and guide the professional development of assigned Solution Architects and/or Product Managers while also working closely with clients on a daily basis. Management of staff includes but is not limited to coaching and feedback, performance evaluation, and compensation review. Work performed with clients includes scoping new work, delivering work in the role of Client Liaison, while pairing with and enabling client personnel to adopt practices central to Pivotal’s agile methodology.
This position is highly collaborative, with multiple simultaneous tasks to manage and follow through on in parallel with industry-leading agile delivery of client projects and must seamlessly shift between managing Pivots to performing as an individual contributor as required. The incumbent must be able to respond quickly and professionally to unanticipated events while effectively managing the existing workload. The incumbent is expected to rely upon their own knowledge and experience to make decisions that affect their assigned teams and projects, with some guidance and support from leadership.
We’re looking for an Associate Director that will be located in our DC office. The Associate Director (AD) has four primary contributions to make PCFS and our Clients successful:
- Act as Client Liaison on selected engagements or clients. In this role, the AD is responsible for [a] delivering the targeted goals of the project with Pivotal quality which will also drive customer satisfaction, [b] ensure financial obligations of the engagement are tracked and weighed in all project decisions.
- Ensure project success and client satisfaction
- Set up clients and teams so that they can operate with a high degree of autonomy and self-organization
- Collaborate with clients and the Account Teams to create and manage client expectations
- Define needed updates on project activities and lead meetings to discuss
- Play an active role in managing team and project health
- Train, mentor, and develop pivots on a constant, ongoing basis to improve their performance and morale
- Work closely with Pivotal account teams to contribute to and execute on customer Engagement Plans
- Keep relevant client and Pivotal stakeholders updated on current status
- Contribute to selling activities on behalf of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Solutions (PCFS), and other products and services offered by Pivotal Software.
- Represent PCFS by supporting sales activities, executive briefings, leading scopings and helping with follow up
- Work closely with account teams to determine best use of PCFS services for key clients
- Collaborate with account teams and sales operations to create and negotiate proposals and SOWs
- Keep relevant CRM systems updated (Salesforce, etc.)
- Coordinate with the larger Account Teams to coordinate selling motions and present a unified voice for Pivotal to clients.
- Monitor and improve the recruitment, training, development, and retention of pivots
- Work closely with HR and Individual Contributors in your team to foster their development through mentoring
- *something about being the unified part of the management team.
- Work closely with recruitment to screen potential candidates
- Enhance PCFS’ practices and knowledge (methods, ways of working, offering development, training methods) by collaborating with Pivots and members of the PCFS Practices Council to help identify new ideas and methods from client work.
Beyond the Primary Contributions, ADs are also expected to contribute to PCFS’ and Pivotal’s success in other ways.
- Maximize personal contributions to PCFS revenue and cost management through billable client work
- Work with others in Sales and office leadership to develop SOWs with appropriate revenue for AD-provided contributions to PCFS work and client success
- Manage teams and record keeping so that PCFS’ legitimately earned revenue is properly recorded and invoiced
- For teams supervised, manage leakage and other detriments to PCFS’ revenue
- Manage costs (where applicable, such as travel costs or travel time) so that PCFS’ financial performance is maintained appropriately
- Consistently drive Pivot learning and development through on-the-job training methods. This will generally necessitate that the AD will maintain high intimacy with pivots assigned to his/her team(s).
- Understand strengths and weaknesses of team members and discuss those with the Anchor
- Be accessible and approachable for team members, and help them (generally before the fact) with technical development, as well as softer skills related to success for the project and PCFS in general.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with several pivots (inclusive of managers) based on mutual preference, that persist beyond the project.
- Maintain knowledge of Pivotal’s primary product offerings, and their value propositions
- Be prepared to articulate value propositions to pivots and clients
- Support Sales, as needed/appropriate in selling situations which may or may not include PCFS, but could result in significant revenue for Pivotal Software
- Support other leadership in the office and PCFS-wide in driving towards PCFS’ financial goals and company values.
- Support Pivotal Software product strategy
- Set an appropriate example for other staff in the office to follow
- Appropriate personal and business maturity
- Recognize need to deliver and maintain high levels of client service and satisfaction
- Actively support company methods and policies
- Client-delivery oriented
- Pivotal-success oriented
We'll know an Associate Director is successful when:
- He/she has a productive relationship with the rest of the office and Area leadership
- Pivotal leadership has a clear understanding of the Area’s health
- The PCFS Director has a clear understanding of status on all area-specific sales/staff
- Projects are well scoped and appropriately staffed
- He/she successfully balances short- and long-term decision factors
- He/she successfully balances local, regional and organizational decision factors
- Pivots are exhibiting professional growth
- Techniques for integrating best practices into agile teams are evolving and spreading
- Retention is in a healthy place, as advised by the HR office and company-wide norms
- People feel excited about and proud of Pivotal PCFS' practices
Qualifications and Experience Required
- 2+ years in a management/leadership role focused on one of PCFS practice areas (Product Design, Product Management or Software Development)
- 5+ years consulting experience, working with large enterprise organisations
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical individuals; the ability to listen, articulate ideas and advocate best practice solutions in both one-on-one and group settings, in both verbal and written form
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project deadlines
- Ability to see things through to successful completion, delegating where appropriate
- Strong time, project and people management skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Willing to travel and work on-site with customers
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Presales experience would be an asset
Please Note: Much of Pivotal's work in the DC office is with the Federal Government, including the Department of Defense. In order for you to support many of the Federal agencies we have as customers in a CL capacity, U.S. citizenship is a requirement. As a member of the DC PCFS leadership team, you will be expected to work with some or all of these clients. As a CL for certain federal agencies, you would be required to go through a background investigation for Public Trust Clearance.
Travel Required: Client work may require travel, on average, of 50%
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.