Database Customer Support Engineer
About Us VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software, Inc., combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, and methodology to empower the world’s largest organizations to adapt to change and build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
About Pivotal Support
Pivotal Support is a dynamic and agile organization within Pivotal. We provide commercial support to our Cloud, Data product offerings to IT and developer communities in Fortune 1000 companies.
About the job
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with an understanding of database, virtualization and system administration. As Pivotal continues to build out the product portfolio and offerings, you will be immersed in the most exciting time of the company’s history.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Troubleshooting database, hardware, OS, networking for customers and internal departments (Professional Services, Systems Engineering, Platform Engineering).
- Apply advanced and in-depth knowledge to analyze, diagnose, replicate, troubleshoot and resolve standard to highly complex technical customer reported issues with our big data product (Greenplum database).
- Contribute to our support and customer success by taking initiatives to improve process, teamwork, and/or any other area that would improve overall team productivity.
- Handle stressful situations effectively and escalate as appropriate.
- Assist with any other initiatives as needed (testing new product features, proactive support).
- Take ownership, manage and maintain up-to-date status on all supported requests.
- Assist and mentor junior staff in team to resolve complex issues.
- Escalate unresolved issues that require more in-depth knowledge to engineering in a timely manner.
- Report and submit product defects to our engineering team using the appropriate channel or tool.
- Create and peer review new knowledge base articles.
- Provide after business hour support on a rotation basis.
- Sharing all acquired knowledge within and across teams.
- Actively contribute to the community surrounding the Pivotal Data Suite products via mailing lists, Forums and Knowledge base.
Our team members are all familiar, skilled, and/or experienced in some of the following (we do not expect you to check everything on this list)
- Bachelor or above degree in Computer Science or related field of studies.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills.
- Experience supporting RDMBS (Oracle/SQL Server) and/or systems administration (Solaris/Unix/Linux) , AND be willing to learn those areas that are outside of current comfort zone.
- Good Knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with end-user Reporting/ETL tools (BO, Cognos, Informatica, etc) and large-scale data warehousing experience is desirable.
- Scripting skills in Bash, Perl, Python or MapReduce - a plus.
- Experience with MPP databases (Teradata, Netezza/Greenplum) or PostgreSQL/ is a plus.
- Kubernetes knowledge and experience is a bonus.
- Prior experience in customer-facing consulting or support skills.
- Exceptional customer service and customer advocacy skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to follow a process flow and handle calls per procedures.
- Comfortable in administering Linux based environments.
- Great English communication skills.
- Comfortable facing customers and handling stress.
- Enthusiasm and great attitude that fit into startup culture.
If you are passionate about solving problems, enjoy working with world-class people and developing cutting edge technology, you should explore a career with Pivotal. This is a very exciting time to join Pivotal. We offer competitive benefits and compensation (including equity in a high growth market), and many extras (beer fridge, free breakfast, snacks etc) that create a rewarding work experience.