Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 3,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You have a passion for developing large distributed systems to manage data. You understand that software that manages data at scale is a little different from other kinds of systems. Solutions that work fine on single nodes with gigabytes of data can fall over when scaled to petabytes of data and thousands of nodes. You relish discovering solutions that perform at scale while preserving the sanctity of customer data. You are curious, love to learn, and love to share your latest discoveries. Above all, you love shipping software as a member of a collaborative team
Database R&D has a unique opportunity to help some of the biggest database needs in major industries. We primarily work on the open source products of Greenplum, PostgreSQL and MySQL. We tackle the technical challenges that come with massively parallel distributed systems operating on petabytes of data across thousands of nodes. We delve into areas like query optimization, federated query processing, parallel and distributed execution of advanced data processing algorithms, resource management, and storage. We are working towards providing our customers the best solution for both their analytical as well as transactional processing needs. Our overall mission is to provide a suite of databases to our customers that aligns with Pivotal’s goal of changing the way the world builds software.
Skills / Experience
Deep, meaningful and recent development experience with one or more of the following is desired:
- Database kernel or related internals
- Experience with C, C++, Python, Golang or Java
- Relational database product development
- Query execution or cost based query optimization
- Highly scalable, distributed, data driven applications
- Products deployed in highly available, mission critical, enterprise environments
- Cluster management automation systems
- Distributed systems monitoring internals
- Backup system internals
- Federated data systems
Other skills and experiences we value:
- A deep understanding of PostgreSQL or MySQL internals
- Domain knowledge of RDBMS concepts
- Experience working with Kubernetes and other container orchestration systems
- Extremely large scale application development – data systems in the multi-petabyte range
- Exposure to pair-programming, test-driven development, continuous integration and other agile or XP engineering practices
- Experience with the challenges of testing distributed systems.
***Please answer application questions if they are not included in your cover letter****
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
For San Francisco-based employment, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.