At PitchBook, we are always looking forward. We continue to innovate, evolve, and invest in ourselves to bring out the best in everyone. We’re deeply collaborative and thrive on the excitement, energy, and fun that reverberates throughout the company.
Our extensive learning programs and mentorship opportunities help us create a culture of curiosity that pushes us to always find new solutions and better ways of doing things. The combination of a rapidly evolving industry and our high ambitions means there’s going to be some ambiguity along the way, but we excel when we challenge ourselves. We’re willing to take risks, fail fast, and do it all over again in the pursuit of excellence.
If you have a good attitude and are willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done, PitchBook is the place for you.
About the Role:
As a member of the Product and Engineering team at PitchBook, you will be part of a team of big thinkers, innovators and problem solvers who strive to deepen the positive impact we have on our customers and our company every day. We value curiosity and the drive to find better ways of doing things. We thrive on customer empathy, which remains our focus when creating excellent customer experiences through product innovation.
We know that greatness is achieved through collaboration and diverse points of view, so we work closely with partners around the globe. As a team, we assume positive intent in each other’s words and actions, value constructive discussions, and foster a respectful working environment built on integrity, growth, and business value. We invest heavily in our people, who are eager to learn and constantly improve. Join our team and grow with us!
To that end, as our scope of data integration and analysis expands so do the needs of the Business Intelligence team. We’re looking for a person with the ability to work with a range of data and reporting technologies (eg. Python, Docker, Tableau, Power BI) in order to build upon a strong foundation of rigor, quantitative techniques, and efficient processing. The Data Engineer will join other Engineers and Analytics professionals as part of the team that develops data pipelines and insights for our internal stakeholders across Sales, Customer Success, Marketing, Research, Product, Finance, and Administration.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- You’ll be PitchBook’s expert at building unified data tech to support advanced and automated business analytics
- Design, develop, document, and maintain database and reporting structures used to compile insights
- Define, develop, and review extract, transform, and load processes and data modeling solutions
- Consistently evolve data processes and techniques in accordance with industry best practices
- Establish and help define reports and dashboards used to translate business data into insights, identify and prioritize operational improvement opportunities and measure business performance against objectives
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of quality assurance standards and procedures
- Support the vision and values of the company through role modeling and encouraging desired behaviors
- Participate in various company initiatives and projects as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, or related fields
- 2+ years of relevant work experience creating and maintaining data pipelines and architecture
- Understanding of advanced data warehousing concepts, data modeling and extract, transform, and load development
- Advanced SQL skills with experience querying large datasets from multiple sources and developing automated reporting
- Python skills for scripting, data manipulation, custom extract, transform, and loads and statistical/regression analysis particularly, as they apply to sales and marketing operations and performance
- Experience with software programs such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Docker, Linux, and Postgres
- Ability to display complex quantitative data in a simple, intuitive format and to present findings in a clear and concise manner
- Capable of investigating, familiarizing and mastering new data sets quickly
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate complex data issues correctly and clearly to both internal and external customers
- Experience with presenting actionable insights to business stakeholders
- Experience with: Airflow, Luigi, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Git, Postgres, Debezium, and Kafka is preferred
- Experience with Snowflake development and cloud data warehousing is preferred
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including in-depth knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel with the ability to pick up new systems and software easily
Benefits + Compensation at PitchBook:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Additional medical wellness incentives
- STD, LTD, AD&D and life insurance
- Paid sabbatical program after four years
- Paid family and paternity leave
- Annual educational stipend
- Ability to apply for tuition reimbursement
- CFA exam stipend
- Robust training programs on industry and soft skills
- Employee assistance program
- Generous allotment of vacation days, sick days and volunteer days
- Matching gifts program
- Employee resource groups
- Subsidized emergency childcare
- Dependent Care FSA
- Company-wide events
- Employee referral bonus program
- Quarterly team building events
- 401k match
- Shared ownership employee stock program
- Monthly transportation stipend
*Please be aware the above PitchBook benefit and perk offerings are subject to corresponding plan and policy documents and may change during the course of your employment.
- Annual base salary: $111,550-$188,600
- Target annual bonus percentage: 10%
*Starting pay will be based on several factors and commensurate with qualifications & experience. We also have a location-based compensation structure; there may be different ranges for candidates by location.
The job conditions for this position are in a standard office setting. Employees in this position use PC and phone on an on-going basis throughout the day. Limited corporate travel may be required to remote offices or other business meetings and events.
Life At PB:
We are consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work and our culture is at the heart of our success. It’s our fundamental belief that people do and create great things and that people are the cornerstone of prosperity. We believe that proactively seeking out different points of view, listening to others, learning and reflecting on what we’ve heard creates a sense of belonging within PitchBook and strengthens the PitchBook community.
We are excited to get to know you and your background. Concerned that you might not meet every requirement? We encourage you to still apply as you might be the right candidate for the role or other roles at PitchBook.