Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help innovators build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders
Who are we looking for?
As our Head of Finance, you will be a key factor in driving Pinwheel’s next stage of growth. More concretely, you will set the strategy and manage the day-to-day operations of our finance team. Reporting directly to the CEO, this executive will build and manage the Accounting team and the FP&A team, and partner closely with the rest of the executive team to set overall financial strategy. The ideal candidate is an exceptional leader and manager, has strong domain expertise across accounting and FP&A, including in SaaS / B2B businesses, and is a great collaborator among key stakeholders across the organization.
What will you be doing?
- Own company-wide finance operations, including budgeting, forecasting, cash management, financial planning, financial analysis, and accounting
- Drive monthly financial reviews to understand key forecast variances and identify key trends and areas for forecast improvement
- Model out financial impact of business initiatives and provide recommendations to aid decision-making, working extremely closely with the CEO and CRO
- Collaborate on high priority and cross-functional projects to help prioritize resources and aid in strategic decision making
- Lead operational and business improvement initiatives by leveraging data and insights
- Define and track KPIs to ensure resources are efficiently allocated, and help continuously improve reporting frameworks and tools
- Assist with investor relations, board materials, fundraising, diligence requests, and other external facing activities on an as-needed basis
- Oversee annual audit process and control environment, liaise with other external parties e.g.,3rd party accounting team, tax advisors, banks, etc.
What experience, skills, and qualifications are necessary?
- 8-10 years of strategic finance experience, including as an operator with experience in high-growth startups (preferably SaaS / B2B businesses)
- Exceptional financial and analytical capabilities, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to build complex financial models and make recommendations
- Proven ability to work well with cross-functional team members
- Willingness to lead and scale finance infrastructure
- Strong leadership and management skills, including the ability to recruit and effectively manage a team
- Experience with analytics tools and systems (i.e.SQL, Retool/Redash) and desire to build and use metrics to manage the business
- A positive, high-energy personality who believes that Finance and Strategy are critical to the success of the business, and not a back-office function
- A flexible spirit, adaptable to startup life (who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves!) and comfortable with white space and an evolving business model and roadmap
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - We are small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding our culture and being a part of the growth journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.
- Great compensation & equity packages
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Life & short-term disability insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid parental leave
- 401K for retirement planning
- Mentorship opportunities
- Free Citibike membership
- Pet friendly offices and Zoom spaces
Diversity & Inclusion at Pinwheel
At Pinwheel, we are committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We believe that having people across different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives enables us not only to build the best financial products, but to help us realize the best versions of ourselves. Pinwheel is an equal opportunity employer, and we aim to be an open and supportive place to work.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, Pinwheel requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as permitted under applicable law.