Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help innovators build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.
Who are we looking for?
Commercial Counsel will play a key role in the legal department, responsible for handling commercial transactions. Commercial counsel will be responsible for drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and counseling internal clients on commercial and legal issues to grow Pinwheel’s business. Commercial Counsel must have substantial hands-on experience providing legal advice and counseling on varied commercial transactions directly to the business, and work cross-functionally with the sales, ops, finance, tech and product teams. The ideal candidate must be able to handle contract negotiations single-handedly from redlines to execution and work independently with minimal oversight.
What will you be doing?
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, e.g., MSAs, supply/distribution agreements, licenses, professional services agreements and NDAs.
- Interpreting and providing advice to internal clients regarding rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and business terms of commercial contracts.
- Advise senior management and internal business units on legal issues and risks, and exercise strategic business judgment.
- Additional responsibilities may include:
- drafting/updating form agreements;
- privacy law compliance and product regulatory matters;
- Working with and managing outside counsel who assist on many of the matters requiring specialized expertise included in additional responsibilities listed above.
What experience, skills, and qualifications are necessary?
- Strong analytical, communication, deal management, and drafting skills.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with internal and external business clients and outside counsel.
- Manage and analyze various aspects of complex and strategic commercial deals from inception to execution, including negotiation, drafting, and modification of deal terms.
- Ability to provide practical legal advice, and propose innovative, creative, and workable solutions.
- Ability to exercise judgment independently with minimal supervision under tight timelines while prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast-paced and engaging environment.
- Willingness to handle matters in and outside areas of expertise with a can-do, flexible attitude, understanding that no job is too big or too small.
- Fintech experience.
- JD from a top law school, and active member of the NY State Bar, in good standing.
- 4+ years experience.