Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help innovators build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.
Who are we looking for?
Pinwheel is looking for creative and efficient senior backend engineers who will design, build, scale, and evolve the backend services that power Pinwheel's APIs. You will collaborate across product and engineering to ship entire systems that deliver real value to our users. You'll help identify and prioritize the most impactful problems to solve. And you will contribute to leveling up the engineering team through mentorship and improving tooling, processes, and engineering standards.
What will you be doing?
- Build, scale, and evolve the data models, services, and systems that power our APIs.
- Collaborate across teams and functions to deliver entire features and products to our users.
- Deeply understand our customer needs and design systems to solve them.
- Create and improve tooling, processes, and engineering standards across the team.
- Mentor engineers and help the team grow.
What experience, skills, and qualifications are necessary?
- 4+ years of experience building and scaling backend systems.
- Technically lead projects which have involved multiple engineering teams.
- A desire to think deeply about API design.
- Ability to write and debug production-quality backend code.
- Ability to design new systems and evaluate the tradeoffs in scalability, reliability, performance, and maintainability.
- A desire to focus on customer needs and solve real problems.
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - We are small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding our culture and being a part of the growth journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.
- Great compensation & equity packages
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Life & short-term disability insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid parental leave
- 401K for retirement planning
- Mentorship opportunities
- Free Citibike membership
- Pet friendly offices and Zoom spaces
Diversity & Inclusion at Pinwheel
At Pinwheel, we are committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We believe that having people across different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives enables us not only to build the best financial products, but to help us realize the best versions of ourselves. Pinwheel is an equal opportunity employer, and we aim to be an open and supportive place to work.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, Pinwheel requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as permitted under applicable law.