Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
Pinwheel provides an API that makes it easy for any user to connect their payroll account to any app. By building pipes that connect payroll platforms to banks, lenders, and other service providers, we hope to help underserved consumers gain equitable access to financial services when they need it most, while sparking innovation of new financial products.
Financial institutions often rely on traditional credit scoring systems that look at a consumer's past behavior and limited demographic data. More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all, and 78% live paycheck to paycheck. Without access to affordable financial products, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
At Pinwheel, we believe that unlocking API access to payroll systems helps build towards a fairer financial system. Most people's money can be traced back to a payroll system (e.g., ADP, Paychex, Gusto) — meaning those systems sit at the top of the financial stack and harbor a wealth of income and employment data, and tapping into them offers limitless possibilities. Here are just a few ways Pinwheel's solution helps our customers and their end users:
- Enable real-time, seamless direct deposit switching within a bank's UX, driving LTV and account profitability for banks, and giving users control over where their paycheck goes
- Let consumers share their income and employment data directly with lenders, no paperwork required — speeding up the process and delivering the high quality data lenders need in real time
- Allow borrowers to repay their loans directly from their payroll — massively de-risking loans for lenders and allowing customers to access fairer interest rates
Who are we looking for?
Unlike your typical e-commerce or consumer internet startup, at Pinwheel we have built our entire platform from the ground up using the micro-services architecture. We are looking for senior backend engineers who are interested in building large-scale distributed systems and enjoy solving the unique problems that come with it. If you are up for the challenge, we welcome you to join our diverse and growing engineering team.
What you will be doing?
- Work alongside other engineers to help build and scale-out our core platform that integrates with thousands of 3rd party payroll systems.
- Build software tools and abstractions to reduce the effort required to integrate with a large number of 3rd party systems.
- Implement observability for the code you write and optimize for scalability and reliability over time.
- Work alongside engineering managers and product managers to scope out new improvements to our platform in well defined architecture documents.
What skills are necessary?
- 4+ years of experience building and scaling backend systems.
- Able to write well-structured object-oriented code in Python or similar server side language.
- Able to architect new systems and evaluate the tradeoffs in scalability, reliability, performance, and security.
- Familiar with developing services in AWS or similar cloud providers.
- FinTech and/or API development experience is a plus, but not required.
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - Our company is small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding the company culture and being a part of the entrepreneurial journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.