Begin your career in the insurance industry with a paid internship at one of the Denver Post’s Top Workplaces and Colorado’s largest provider of workers’ compensation insurance, Pinnacol Assurance! The goal of the placement will be to get interested applicants real life, hands-on exposure to critical insurance operations functions with particular focus on claims handling and management processes. Successful participants will have opportunities to explore ongoing employment beyond the internship depending on the candidate's interest, schedule and performance review at the end of the program.
Duties: Interns will work closely with claims discipline leadership and staff as well as various other business partners in assisting key functions associated with the successful management and resolution of workers’ compensation claims. Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Training and working closely with experienced staff on all relevant functions related to the opportunity.
- Managing the relationships with stakeholders in order to obtain timely and accurate information.
- Investigating, identifying and addressing red flag issues, including late reporting, pre-existing medical issues, designated medical provider process and referral issues, medical treatment issues, legal issues, and potential subrogation and penalty issues
- Managing claims functions including medical-only closures, demand appointment scheduling, medical records requests, Insurance Services Office (ISO) searches, support with outstanding payments and refund protocols as well as ad hoc support of discipline-specific initiatives.
- Evaluating and implementing the critical skills needed for successful customer service and support interactions by scoring, reviewing, shadowing, evaluating and handling customer interactions.
- Contacting stakeholders as required by company best practices on incoming claims and promptly investigating circumstances of accident and injury.
- Effectively communicating decisions and evaluating customer understanding.
- Meeting with various leaders from around the organization to conduct informational career interviews.
- Consulting on and supporting ad hoc business projects pertaining to employee relations, safety services, agency relations, data analysis, and industry trends.
- Learning the roles, functions and responsibilities of a successful staff member in the insurance industry.
Learning Objectives: We hope that this experience will help our interns become more familiar with workers’ compensation policy and practice as well as provide a rich experiential learning opportunities to apply skills, concepts, and knowledge from the studies in the RMI program into a real-world context. Some key learning objectives our interns can expect to develop are:
- An ability to articulate, define and describe the various organizational roles and functions associated with successful claims and policy management.
- Hands-on experience supporting various aspects of injured worker claims.
- Foundational professional skill development including communication, time management, prioritization, self-advocacy, customer service, and business acumen in both in-person and remote contexts.
- Understanding of the business’s ecosystem and the various roles needed to execute best-in-class stakeholder support and management.
- Ability to refine long-term insurance/business career interests.
Successful Applicants: Will be highly motivated to work in the insurance field or currently be enrolled in the UCD RMI program, have strong interpersonal and written communication skills, will be comfortable and available to work in both in-person and virtual environments, will have excellent personal accountability, will be curious learners, and will have interest in work opportunities beyond the initial summer internship at Pinnacol Assurance. Rising juniors with an interest in working up to 40 hours a week are highly encouraged to apply!
Additional Details: Interns will be paid $20/hour and work in both an office and remote fashion for up to 40 hours per week June 4th-July 26th, 2024. Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
Want to love your work? Apply today!
Pinnacol is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must be of legal working age in your state of residence to be eligible for this internship. Age eligibility will be verified prior to issuing an offer.