The Director of Grid Integration is a technical and commercial role responsible for managing project development and integration of PGR’s solar and storage pipeline in multiple states throughout the U.S. The Director will lead PGR’s Development Engineering, Transmission Strategy and Energy storage teams. The individual will support and provide direction to create and manage information feedback processes to inform forward-looking technical, policy, and regulatory solutions to systemic interconnection roadblocks. This position will also shape the strategic direction of solar/storage integration, standalone storage asset and unique product development in multiple markets to support Power Marketing team. Director of Grid Integration will report to the SVP, Development.
What You’ll Do
- Review single line diagrams, and site layout designs to optimize solar design and meet utility requirements, and participate in construction drawing reviews
- Guide engineering teams in optimizing projects' solar and storage or standalone storage design through equipment selection considering grid interconnection requirements
- Reduce interconnection cost for projects in all markets using a variety of mediums; this is inclusive of technical meetings, dispute resolution proceedings, what-if analysis and utility interaction
- Lead technical negotiations and drive implementation of non-wires alternatives, advanced inverter functionality, selective curtailment, and other grid-edge technologies
- Partner with project finance team to ensure bankability of storage technology and operating assumptions, along with vetting solid underwriting parameters for the associated revenue streams.
- Provide a detailed and complete understanding of the interconnection and grid integration process to the broader organization for all the active markets
- Provide strategic, market, commercial and technical input to the Development Engineering, Transmission Strategy, Energy Storage and EPC regarding the development, design, grid integration, and interconnection of the company's project pipeline allowing for cost effective and efficient designs and processes
- Engage at new market entry to shape utility interconnection regulations, tariffs, and technical standards and provide project-based and market-based interconnection optimization guidance
- Create and manage information feedback processes to inform forward-looking technical, policy, and regulatory solutions to systemic interconnection roadblocks
- Attend relevant ISO , state regulatory meetings to push the initiatives that would be beneficial for solar and storage industry
- 7+ years’ work history in renewable or traditional energy development and transmission planning.
- Ability to understand and interpret results through power flow software and Production Costing programs
- Strong technical background includes experience in transmission systems planning or generator interconnection process, and previous employment with a utility, technical consultant or an ISO or a renewable energy company.
- Experience working with utilities, IPPs, EPCs, solar developers, and storage integrators
- Understanding of Energy storage technology, various value proposition and experience in technical bid evaluation
- Experience signing and negotiating PPA offtake agreements that include a substantial storage component and complexity around grid curtailments
- Existing relationships with key storage OEMs to streamline procurement and cost estimating
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written, and a proven ability to work with internal and external customers
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks from multiple requestors of all levels and being strategic in making critical decisions
- Creative, self-motivated, and self-directed, and able to multi-task a large variety of projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- MBA or a Graduate degree in any discipline
- Professional Engineer
- Candidates who can bring current contacts/leads in the areas of utilities, IPPs, EPCs, developers, and storage integrators
Education and Certifications
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field
Working Environment and Physical Demand
- Some travel may be required (up to 20%)
- May require lifting/carrying items up to 30 pounds.
- Position works in an office environment.
- Must be able to sit/stand at a desk and utilize a computer, for extended periods of time