The Project Finance Vice President will report to the Senior Vice President of Project Finance and will be responsible for the overall strategy, execution, and profitability of solar project financings within a specific strategic territory developed by Pine Gate Renewables and/or its partners. S/he will work closely with the team heads of development and EPC to optimize and maximize the value of the projects within its portfolio.
The Project Finance VP will lead a team of finance professionals to structure and execute project-level tax equity, debt, and cash equity financing transactions. S/he will provide leadership to the project finance closing process, document review and negotiation with internal and external counsel, as well as have responsibility for the overall profitability of the territory.
The candidate will be a self-starter who is motivated to advance their project finance careers with the ability to think critically and identify and resolve key issues in solar development and financing while furthering the company’s strategic vision. In-depth knowledge of project-level fundamentals is necessary in working collaboratively with PGR’s interdepartmental team members representing development, engineering, construction, and accounting, as well as outside stakeholders, in order to ensure accuracy and consistency of information. The work is fast paced, demanding, and intellectually stimulating. Candidates will need to take a leadership role in working collaboratively with other departments, work well under pressure, have the aptitude to synthesize large amounts of information, and be capable of creating and implementing innovative solutions.
What You’ll Do
- In collaboration with development and construction team members, determine and implement strategic direction and profitability of assigned portfolio and geographic region.
- Provide strategic direction and thought leadership to deal teams during financing transaction executions and the preparation phase.
- Evaluate current and potential project acquisition and financing opportunities through forecasting cash flows, tax impacts, and investor returns.
- Manage and lead a team of project finance professionals.
- Coordinate with peer leadership in development, EPC, and legal to align strategy and maximize value creation during the development phase.
- Manage the marketing of projects to prospective financing and acquisition counterparties.
- Work as part of a collaborative deal execution team to raise sponsor equity, tax equity, construction and perm debt as well as execute M&A transactions.
- Conduct preliminary due diligence and determine risks and mitigates.
- Manage financial models, prepare marketing materials, manage third party consultants, and assist in negotiating transaction documents.
- Coordinate with finance providers on due diligence and documentation.
- Coordinate the drawdown and closing process with respect to construction debt, tax equity, permanent debt, and permanent cash equity providers.
- Work with M&A and business development teams to assist in assessing economic viability of acquisition opportunities.
- Support senior management of PGR on various financing related matters on an on-going basis.
- At least 10-12 years of relevant project finance experience working within the U.S. power or infrastructure sectors.
- Solar or renewable energy experience.
- Proficiency with project finance debt, equity, and/or tax equity deal execution
- A strong working knowledge of the complete lifecycle of solar projects and the interdependent relationships of multi-discipline subject matter experts within the financial model and financing structures.
- Experience in managing a team of project finance professionals.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, think critically, prioritize, and meet assigned deadlines in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Experience in modeling tax equity financing structures.
- Familiarity with tax and accounting methods.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Finance or Accounting.
Working Environment and Physical Demand
- Travel up to 15%
- Preferred location Asheville, NC or Charlotte, NC