Pine Gate Renewable (PGR) is seeking a Transmission Engineer who is interested in a solar and storage development strategy role. The position will participate in regional internal interconnection feasibility studies and network upgrade cost estimate activities through the full life cycle of development and construction of projects leading to the successful execution of new asset growth across the respective region. As an internal load flow study expert, the position is required to work with internal project developers/siting team, and external entities including Regional Transmission Organization (RTO), Independent Systems Operators (ISO), Transmission Providers (TP), and Transmission Owners (TO) to review and evaluate interconnection standards and study practices, transmission siting feasibility, system impact studies, facility studies, and Large Generator Interconnection Agreements (LGIA).
Preferred technical background includes experience in transmission planning and analysis, and previous employment with a utility, RTO or renewable energy company is a plus. Proficiency in power flow software is a must.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
The position will both lead and support as needed by internal stakeholders leading to the successful execution of both new and acquired projects across the United States.
- Gain proficiency in Transmission Providers’ tariff, business practices, interconnection standards, interconnection study practices, cost allocation methodologies, transmission planning standards, and transmission system performance evaluation criteria Possess understanding of regional transmission plans and operational practices
- Perform load flow and other studies to identify the optimal locations for the placement of generator resources across the targeted study/focus region
- Implement the optimal interconnection strategy
- Perform the network upgrade cost estimates for the proposed projects
- Verify and challenge System Impact and Facility Study results
- Participate in negotiation with Transmission Providers to reach reasonable resolutions
- Participate in negotiation of alternative low-cost network upgrade solutions with transmission owner
- Conduct Day One analyses to minimize curtailment by optimizing network upgrade construction scheduling, resolving transmission issues by investors, and supporting ISO’s Quarterly Operating Limit Studies or Limited Operation Interconnection Service studies
Desired Skills And Experience
- Preferred technical background includes experience in transmission systems planning or generator interconnection process, and previous employment with a utility, an ISO, or a renewable energy company.
- Familiarity with transmission systems and long term transmission plans in US.Understanding of Open Access Transmission Tariffs and Generator Interconnection Procedures and Study Methodologies for US ISO/RTO regions (PJM, NYISO, CAISO, MISO, WECC, SPP).
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 2+ years work history in renewable or traditional energy development, or transmission planning.
- Proficiency in power flow software (Powerworld preferred, GE PSLF, MUST, TARA and Siemens PSS/E also is preferred).
At Pine Gate Renewables, we are committed to developing solar farms throughout the country. Our approach utilizes experience-backed management and real-time industry knowledge to site and develop projects in a way that delivers the maximum benefit to communities, utilities and investors. We work hard, and we like to have fun along the way.