What we’re building
Every company needs to keep track of its finances, and most hire a bookkeeping firm to do so. But there's no Stripe, Gusto, or Google Apps of this world—no clear best-in-class bookkeeping firm that everyone uses because it delivers a service of unmatched quality and integrates with the tools and workflows to run your business as it grows.
Pilot is changing that. Our approach is to use software to automate as much of the heavy lifting as possible and giving those software superpowers to a team of finance experts. Which means that our customers, business owners across America, can focus on the reasons they started their businesses in the first place, instead of worrying about whether their bookkeeping is being done well.
We are looking for a software engineer with experience in frontend technologies to join our Margin & Scaling team. This team is responsible for building the software & systems that enable Pilot to deliver a high-quality service profitably at scale.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Leading technical projects from problem definition all the way through rollout. You’ll work with product managers, designers, other engineers, and your customers (for this role it’s our Operations team) to develop solutions to some of Pilot’s most interesting problems.
- Participating in product and design reviews to provide your technical perspective on the features we want to build.
- Authoring, contributing to, and/or overseeing the creation of technical specs and testing/rollout plans.
- Writing clean, well-tested code — mostly frontend, but we love the full stack! — to accomplish team and company goals.
- Mentoring high potential engineers on your team (and potentially other teams) to help them develop their skills, i.e. teaching them new concepts, performing useful code reviews, and giving feedback or guidance.
- Beyond mentoring engineers, actually upleveling engineers. We believe in investing in each other and identifying opportunities for our coworkers to stretch themselves and lead.
- Working across teams to shape frontend development at Pilot (e.g. defining best practices, choosing technologies, evolving our tech stack).
- Shadowing and interacting with the Operations team and other stakeholders who use the Pilot app on a daily basis.
In order to successfully fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, we have a small set of requirements. As our ideal candidate, you will:
- Show general programming fluency in at least one language. Our application logic is written in Python, but we’ll happily accept experience in a comparable language.
- Have multiple years of experience working in component-based frontend frameworks (e.g. Vue, React, Angular, or similar). We are a Vue.js shop, but most of us learned Vue at Pilot! Experience with other technologies will translate well to our stack.
- Have a demonstrated ability to drive foundational improvements for your company, product, or team.
- Have experience mentoring, sponsoring, and upleveling engineers you’ve worked with on previous teams.
- Demonstrate a commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment, with awareness of the challenges marginalized people face in tech. We are a diverse team representing a variety of identities and experiences, and we’re supportive of each other’s needs.
While not required, we love any additional expertise you could bring to the team. Some of the things that would be highly valuable to us are expertise in:
- Design Systems
- Tooling and frontend infrastructure (e.g. webpack, Babel, TypeScript, or Codemods)
Our 25-person Engineering org is divided into three separate teams, each with their own missions and charters. We work collaboratively: we pair with each other (often across teams), we work on projects in groups, and we meet with our customers to inform what we build.
Overall, Pilot is about 135 people split across our San Francisco and Nashville offices. Our Engineering team is located in San Francisco, and our SF office is located right next to the Montgomery Street BART stop — though of course right now we are all working from home. Given our current setup, we will have a strong preference for candidates who live in or will relocate to California, although we are willing to talk to exceptional candidates who meet our above requirements but need to work elsewhere in the US.
Our seasoned founding team has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox), and our engineering managers have a breadth of experience at companies of varying sizes. We invest in managers via peer mentorship and training across all functions.
We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) program.
At Pilot, we are enthusiastically pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. However, we do encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
Pilot also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Pilot’s demonstrated commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.