About Pillar: We believe that people are the most important part of a business and we are focused on enabling our clients to build the best businesses through recruiting the best people.
The majority of companies have not changed the ways they recruit for decades and are now out of date and out of touch. We are solving this and in doing so building great, forward thinking businesses.
Our team is mission-driven and scaling up. We value humanity (compassion, embracing fun and quirks, and staying humble) while striving for excellence (accountability, active learning, and ownership). Sound like you? Read on!
As one of the first members of the team in a fast growing start-up your efforts will shape the future of the company and your career growth and opportunities will be dramatically accelerated.
Pillar is looking for an accomplished Data Scientist to help set the stage for how we gather, process, scale, and store data from a wide range of sources. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable wearing many hats. You should be an experienced data scientist and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. This role reports to Pillar’s Director of Engineering.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with product, engineering, and various internal stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Mine and analyze data to drive optimization and improvement of product development and business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize the customer experience in the Pillar product.
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinate with different functional teams across the business to understand their needs, implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Engage with a highly skilled group of data scientists at High Alpha, Pillar’s venture studio, and other portfolio companies to share initiatives at Pillar’s and participate in a community to learn and grow.
What We’re Looking For:
- 2+ years of experience in Data Science/Machine Learning/AI
- Proficiency in Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, and/or PyTorch is required.
- Proficiency in Python (numpy, pandas, scipy, etc) required. Experience in web languages (Go, Ruby, Node, React, etc), R, Java or C++ considered beneficial.
- Experience building and maintaining ETL tools and building data pipelines.
- Experience in data modeling and/or various data architectures.
- Experience in building machine learning infrastructure on AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests, proper usage, etc.) and experience with their applications.
- Proficient in statistics, predictive analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence algorithms.
- Experience with big data technologies like Kubernetes, Spark, Bigtable, Hadoop, MapReduce, Postgres, MongoDB, Elastic Search, Cassandra, Spark, NoSQL, and SQL.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design and web technologies.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as GIT.
- Experience in short release cycles, Agile/Scrum and TDD.
- Experience with deployment workflows and tools.
- Experience in developing and supporting large scale computational resources on cloud-based Linux infrastructure.
- Well-versed in different approaches to data architecture and applications, including traditional data warehousing concepts, data lakes, streaming processing, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Humanity Over Everything
We care about people. We know that people are more than just their job title. We trust and believe in our people as the foundation of success.
Embrace Fun and Quirks
We take our jobs seriously and have fun while doing so. We celebrate our quirks and differences. We balance professionalism and a strong work ethic with camaraderie and playfulness.
We believe in pride of ownership without ego. We have growth mindsets and know that we can always learn and improve. We are delighted when our teammates succeed.
Strive for Excellence
We are all top performers who think like owners of the business. We hold the bar high, and follow through on our commitments. We take accountability for our failures and our successes.
We encourage ourselves and others to ask questions and dig beyond face value. We respectfully challenge each other's ideas and work. We believe substantial questions are the foundation of a strong business, from an interview process through an exit interview.
Celebrate Failure in Pursuit of Success
We aren't embarrassed by our failures - we communicate and learn from them to continue to grow.
Pillar is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.