Director/Sr. Director/VP of Impact Distribution (final title based on person and experience)
Full Time Employment
Location: New York City, NY
Reporting to: COO, Picture Motion
We are looking for a data loving human, a spreadsheet & systems super hero, an extremely organized social justice warrior and an avid film & tv consumer. Someone who is ready to take on challenging but incredibly rewarding work with the world’s best storytellers. If you are someone who believes that film and tv, when paired with the right campaign, can truly create change, then we want you.
The Head of Impact Distribution oversees the vision, strategy and operations of the Screening Tours division for the Impact Distribution Team, overseeing a team of four people and reporting to the COO. The Head of Impact Distribution’s role ranges from being hands on implementing impact distribution based campaigns - also known as screening tours, grassroots screenings, or non theatrical live exhibition events for Picture Motion clients, to high level strategy development, and business development support.
Impact Distribution is how we ensure a film (or TV show, web short, series, etc) gets seen as widely as possible and by the audience best in position to drive impact. The Picture Motion Director of Impact Distribution will be primarily responsible for the strategic development and implementation of each film’s impact distribution plan, in order to optimize both impact and commercial return, by getting the film in front of the right audiences, at the right time, in the right way.
We need someone who can wear many hats. Someone that enjoys testing out new systems and technology; that can inspire and lead a team to accomplish difficult tasks; that has strong relationship development skills in order to build trust with clients, AND is a creative thinker who enjoys brainstorms, ideation and creation.
Recent and current clients include National Geographic, EPIX, Amazon Studios, Participant Media, Showtime, Amazon, FilmRise, The Orchard and Netflix, as well as award winning filmmakers. Including Lesley Chilcott, Matt Heineman, Brett Morgan, JR, James Keach, Lucy Walker, and Roger Ross Williams.
Brand social impact clients include films by Pategonia, Juniper Systems, Johnson & Johnson Dick’s Sporting Goods and Red Bull and Whole Foods.
Recent titles include The Report, One Child Nation, Free Solo, Won’t You Be My Neighbor, The Cave, Jane, 13TH, Fed Up, LION, Step, An Inconvenient Sequel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to COO, Picture Motion
- Oversee department management of 4 total team members
- Senior Manager
- Senior Coordinator
- Responsible for maintaining and measuring company offerings, operations, business development and/or position in the industry, as it relates to Impact Distribution
- Work with department leads on data and systems to organize impact distribution
data and communications
- Exhibits external leadership in impact distribution to industry nationally
- Work with leadership team to define and refine Impact Distribution offerings
- Responsible for the success of the Impact Distribution department. This includes client happiness, quality of campaigns, efficiency of department, and staff satisfaction
- Effectively manage multiple clients and multiple campaigns
- Develop and implement impact distribution campaigns for select client campaigns
- Create and lead the company in best practices for developing and implementing impactful and creative impact distribution campaigns
- Develop and maintain structures for measuring and reporting campaign progress and impact
- Manage and refine Impact Distribution services, playbooks, templates, tools etc
- Work closely with campaign managers (Managers of Campaigns) to help them develop clear and effective campaign strategies
- Collaborate with the Impact Strategy and Impact Experience departments on cross department campaigns
- Oversee department’s work on all elements of screening tours
- Support the professional development of staff and attract talent
- Create an inspiring and supportive work environment
- On occasion, work closely with the business development team to create and edit proposals for new business
- Work closely with the COO to ensure all teams work together efficiently and effectively
- 5-7 years experience
- Experience managing at least 3 direct reports
- Direct experience in independent film distribution
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized and data driven
- Must be able to attend screenings and events happening after work and on weekends
- Experience managing multiple events simultaneously;
- Agency experience a plus
- Sense of humor and fun to work with a big plus
- Must believe in the power of story to create social change
- Evenings and weekends will be required on an as-needed basis
- 10 days paid annual leave (plus one day for every year with the company)
- 11 days paid holidays
- Unlimited mental and physical health days
- Sick leave policy
- Medical and dental benefits
- Flexible work location options
- Full List of Benefits Here