Title: Director / VP of User Experience
Terms: Full Time Position
Salary: ~$85k + equity
Start Date: ASAP
Location: New York, NY
We’re building the largest grassroots cinema network, focusing on enhancing the way that people see and experience films in their communities. We’re connecting world-class curated films and social spaces, creating a unique experience for consumers to view independent, documentary, studio and award-winning films. We aim to be the cinema network of choice for viewers looking to experience film within their communities. We’re looking for some innovative, proactive, film loving go-getters to join our growing team at this awesome new startup.
StorySpaces is expanding the cinema-going experience. We make it easy for people to host screenings of these movies in the spaces already available in their neighborhood: schools, libraries, apartment buildings, coffee shops, and more!
About the Role
The Director / VP of User Experience (title pending level of experience) is a collaborative and creative systems-thinker who will work with the Story Spaces founder and team to better understand community cinema exhibitors (aka screenings hosts) and help build a new distribution platform that elevates the work of local exhibitors. The role will be multifaceted and dynamic in response to the needs of launching a new platform, and the responsibilities detailed below will expand and change as the platform launches.
- Develop and lead the growth strategy for screening host / venue (exhibitor) acquisition
- Collect feedback to understand film exhibitors’ experiences, motivations and needs using the Story Spaces platform.
- Generate user experience insights and effectively communicate results to the Story Spaces team.
- Work with developers and product team to translate user experience and key stakeholder feedback into Story Spaces systems, including but not limited to: event booking; digital material fulfilment; ticketing and RSVP management; and profiles for content owners, screening hosts and audience members.
- Work cross functionally to support the creation and design of new or additional products for the platform.
- Create and oversee a customer service workflow that maximizes productivity and meets the needs of film exhibitors and ticket buyers
- Work with all exhibitors and customers to problem solve, gather feedback and provide an optimal user experience.
- Track and measure retention and experience of screening hosts.
- Develop initial marketing strategy for host acquisition. Then work closely with CMO and marketing team once hired.
- Build out host / exhibitor relations team to manage host experience and retention.
- Aid in the creation of materials to support audience acquisition (IE screening kit, film marketing assets)
- If necessary, liaise between content owners and hosts to ensure assets are delivered adequately
- Hire and manage staff over seeing specific film campaigns on platform
- Directly manage select film campaigns
- Address additional tasks to support the Story Spaces program and team that may arise as the new platform develops and grows
Company Administration - because we’re a start up!
- Aid in daily office operations
- Aid in the hiring and management of staff
- Meeting scheduling
- Attending / assisting with presentations and pitches
- Creating or aiding in the development of company materials and presentations
- General company strategy and brainstorming
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service and client service skills
- Prior experience in operations, sales, or growth strategy
- Ability to prioritize/ multitask
- Self motivator and team player
- Experience using tech stack of customer service tools (ie Customer.io, Zendesk)
- Experience using project management tools (ie Asana, Basecamp)
- Experience using mail merge tools (ie Mailchimp, Streak)
- 2-3 strong references
- 5+ years experience