PhonePe is India’s leading digital payments platform with over 400 million+ registered users. Using PhonePe, users can send and receive money, recharge mobile, DTH, data cards, pay at stores, make utility payments, buy gold, and make investments. PhonePe went live for customers in August 2016 and was the first non-banking UPI app and offered money transfer to individuals and merchants, recharges and bill payments to begin with. In 2017, PhonePe forayed into financial services with the launch of digital gold, providing users with a safe and convenient option to buy 24-karat gold securely on its platform. PhonePe has since launched Mutual Funds and Insurance products like tax-saving funds, liquid funds, international travel insurance, Corona Care, a dedicated insurance product for the COVID-19 pandemic among others.
PhonePe launched its Switch platform in 2018, and today its customers can place orders on over 300 apps including Ola, Myntra, IRCTC, Goibibo, RedBus, Oyo etc. directly from within the PhonePe mobile app. PhonePe is accepted at over 18 million merchant outlets across 500 cities nationally.
At PhonePe, we take extra care to make sure you give your best at work, Everyday! And creating the right environment for you is just one of the things we do. We empower people and trust them to do the right thing. Here, you own your work from start to finish, right from day one. Being enthusiastic about tech is a big part of being at PhonePe. If you like building technology that impacts millions, ideating with some of the best minds in the country and executing on your dreams with purpose and speed, join us!
Role: Direct-Tax team, PhonePe Group
- Fresher CA or up-to 2 years of post-qualification experience – experience preferably in the field of Direct-tax.
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with various inter-departmental stakeholders to collate/ report any required information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially in Word and Excel (experience in Oracle accounting is an added advantage).
- For CA with experience, the following are pre-requisites:
- Knowledge of Indian direct taxes, International-tax, DTAA, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of tax accounting, tax compliance and all types of tax returns and reports.
- Exposure to various overseas jurisdictions in which group operates will be an added advantage.
- Ensure timely direct tax compliance – TDS, Equalisation Levy, Filing of returns, etc.
- Assist the team in the review and finalisation of both statutory (returns, reports, and audits) and internal (group tax reporting) reporting.
- Support the team in planning and implementing tax efficient policies/ transactions.
- Support the team with responding to any direct-tax litigations initiated
Detailed JD provided below:
TAX COMPLIANCE AND ADVISORY:
- Responsible to handle all tax related information data requests, review of documents, maintain backup files, coordinate with auditors, consultants etc.
- Responsible for TDS and equalisation levy compliance which shall include monthly payments as well as quarterly/ annual return filings – prepare relevant workings, get it reviewed by the team lead and ensure timely payments and compliance.
- Assist in the process of filing tax audit reports, direct-tax returns, transfer pricing related compliance and any other reports/ filings applicable to the PhonePe Group.
- Assist in preparing and filing application for filing annual lower tax withholding tax certificate.
- Update and track monthly/ annual Indian tax compliance calendar.
- Assist in review of agreements and highlight key tax issues to relevant stakeholders.
- Review and highlight tax positions that are to be adopted for routine, one off transactions – Eg: TDS applicability on local and international payments, inter-company transactions, etc.
- Responsible for compliance of an international payments – applicability of TDS, finalising TDS rate, filing of Form 15CB/ CA, etc.
- Willingness to learn and acquire technical knowledge to interpret tax laws and treaties.
TRACK UPDATES AND DEVELOPMENTS IN TAX LAWS:
- Stay updated with the latest changes in Indian as well as overseas tax laws which have an impact on the PhonePe Group.
- Responsible to track ongoing litigations/ tax proceedings on a regular basis and ensure that all notices are responded to in a timely manner. Maintain status of direct tax assessments, demands and refunds.
- Assist in the process of responding to tax notices – drafting responses, collation, and review of data to be submitted to the tax authorities, coordinate with relevant stakeholders in the organisation to collate information, coordinate with external consultants, etc.
- Follow up with tax authorities for tax assessment, order giving effects, refunds, appeals, notices, summons, etc.
PhonePe Full Time Employee Benefits (Not applicable for Intern or Contract Roles)
- Insurance Benefits - Medical Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Accidental Insurance, Life Insurance
- Wellness Program - Employee Assistance Program, Onsite Medical Center, Emergency Support System
- Parental Support - Maternity Benefit, Paternity Benefit Program, Adoption Assistance Program, Day-care Support Program
- Mobility Benefits - Relocation benefits, Transfer Support Policy, Travel Policy
- Retirement Benefits - Employee PF Contribution, Flexible PF Contribution, Gratuity, NPS, Leave Encashment
- Other Benefits - Higher Education Assistance, Car Lease, Mobile & Broadband Reimbursements, Salary Advance Policy
Working at PhonePe is a rewarding experience! Great people, a work environment that thrives on creativity, the opportunity to take on roles beyond a defined job description are just some of the reasons you should work with us. Read more about PhonePe on our blog.