At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Senior Backend Software Engineer (Ad Engineering)
Philo's video streaming infrastructure is highly distributed, horizontally scalable and harnesses the power of cloud computing. Our OTT pipeline, developed in-house, ingests both live and VOD content from our content partners, dynamically inserts ads into video streams using Server-Side Ad Insertion (SSAI), and optimally delivers them to our growing user base at exabyte scale.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Software Engineer to help us build the future of our ads platform. As a member of a growing team, you will serve as both a technical leader to help us engineer our ad tech stack, as well as an internal subject matter expert on ad technology (both for our platforms as well as trends in the industry at large).
On the business side, Philo is leading the CTV ad industry by focusing 100% on programmatic advertising and resellers, foregoing the traditional direct sales models. At Philo you will be helping to shape the future of television advertising as you build the next generation of our ad business. Collaborating with our Ad Operations and business teams, you will work with our partners to gather requirements, determine the optimal services and partner integrations needed to optimize Philo’s transactions throughout the programmatic ad ecosystem, then go build and operate the services to make that vision a reality.
- Design, implement, deploy, and monitor the next generation of Philo’s SSAI service.
- Collaborate with our partners in the ad ecosystem to engineer ad tech products that deliver the finest TV watching experience for Philo’s users and best value for advertisers.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders across video delivery, ad operations, and data science teams to ensure we are measuring and optimizing every aspect of our ad delivery process (and our users’ viewing experience)
- Build scalable and resilient data pipelines for ingesting ad creatives and ad measurement events, using distributed computing and micro-services architecture principles.
- Drive continuous improvements to the reliability, performance, accuracy, and security of Philo’s ad services
- Implement identity solutions for ad targeting and measurement.
- Interface with external standards bodies (IAB, MRC, etc) to implement new certifications, maintain compliance with new standard adoption, etc.
- Build tools to proactively monitor and quickly troubleshoot issues having to do with ad delivery
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Experience building or integrating SSAI using MPEG-DASH or HLS media streaming technologies.
- Familiarity with industry standards such as VAST, VMAP, OpenRTB and header bidding.
- Experience building or integrating ad servers, demand-side platforms or supply-side platforms with personalized ad targeting capabilities.
- Familiarity with programmatic advertising using platforms like Publica, Freewheel, Google Ad Exchange or Amazon APS.
- Proven track record of building highly efficient and highly available software using Golang, Java, C++ or similar programming languages.
- Experience operating in cloud computing environments using modern software deployment technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience working with large amounts of data and making data-based decisions to prioritize projects, including familiarity with relational and non-relational databases and modern data warehousing and querying.
- Experience and aptitude for collaborating and communicating with internal and external stakeholders in both business and technical roles.
- Knowledge of ad ecosystem trends and changes that will impact how Philo manages our overall ad stack for years to come
We are language agnostic, but most of our backend code is written in Golang, NodeJS and Ruby, with some C++ and Python. Our services run on Kubernetes, and we practice continuous deployment across all of our systems.
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $130K-$210K depending on experience and location, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- $1000 annual home office stipend for employees to upgrade their home work setup
- $500/month ($6,000/year) bonus for employees who commit to working at least 3 days per week in our offices
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors