Head of Partnerships and Distribution Business Development (NY, SF)
Philo is looking for highly motivated executive to lead our partnerships and business development initiatives.
Do you love television and want to shape the future of it?
Are you highly ambitious, passionate about digital media, and entrepreneurial in nature?
Can you lead an idea from inception to implementation and deliver results?
Do you have strong people skills and the ability to work with a variety of clients internally and externally?
As Philo’s Head of Partnerships and Distribution Business Development you will be able to put that passion, experience, and know-how to help shape the company’s strategic partnership landscape and distribution roadmap, making a direct impact on Philo’s overall growth and revenue success.
This role is tasked with growing Philo’s strategic distribution opportunities while also enhancing existing partnerships. You will oversee agreements related to streaming media partners, mobile and retail alliances, and strategic co-marketing relationships. In addition, the team is tasked with prospecting and evaluating all new distribution growth and partnership opportunities to create additional revenue for the company, via subscription growth, ad sales growth, and new partner ventures.
Innovation - At the core of everything we do at Philo, from Product and Engineering to Advertising and Support. This is also the Philosophy on the Business Development team as we look at ways we can innovate in our deals, partnership and acquisition opportunities, etc.
Deliver Value - This is at the cornerstone of what we do... and we look at all proposals through this lens. In a crowded market, those products that deliver real value for their subscribers will succeed.
Win-Win Opportunities - In an industry well known for tense relationships, we approach all opportunities with our partners in mind. Deals are only good if Philo, our strategic partner, and most importantly, our subscribers win.
What You'll Do:
- Lead Philo’s business development and partnership strategy driven by audience insights, market dynamics and leveraging your industry experience and expertise.
- Manage new opportunities and renewals with key streaming platform partners (Roku, Amazon, Samsung, etc).
- Identify, structure, negotiate, and close small to large scale partnership deals to drive distribution growth for Philo.
- Lead cross functional efforts to analyze and launch new business growth opportunities including business case creation, market analysis, due diligence, product requirement definition, and driving internal consensus to decisions.
- Represent business interests and provide expertise on internal goal-based teams.
- Be an ambassador for the Philo brand by representing Philo at industry events, on panels, etc.
What You’ll Bring:
- A passion for content and television and where the industry is headed.
- Deep understanding of the Pay TV ecosystems, ISP, SVOD, OTT and CTV app-distribution landscape.
- Proven experience of conceptualizing, driving and successfully closing large distribution and strategic partnerships.
- Solid background in understanding technical requirements and platforms with the ability to communicate and translate to internal stakeholders (product, engineering, etc.)
- Minimum 10 years experience in business development, partnership strategy, app-distribution dealmaking and/or a similar field.
- Strong communication skills and ability to tailor messages to business, legal, financial, product, and technical audiences.
- A growth and ownership mindset with a passion for prospecting, unlocking untapped value, and pursuing new business.
- Established relationships within the streaming platform and partnership community.
- Ability to solve problems using a success-oriented approach to complex issues and the innate ability to ask the ‘right questions
- A self-starter mentality that drives you to excel in a fast-paced, exciting environment while maintaining an unwavering dedication to quality work.
- A leadership style based in empathy and humility.
More about Philo
We strive to build engaging and easy to use streaming apps across a large number of platforms (Android Mobile, Android tablets, Android TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, iOS, Apple TV, and web), while delivering a large variety of content to our users.
Today there are over 60 channels included in our basic package -- our lineup includes many popular cable networks, like A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix, and we’re always adding more content!
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV -- we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Location: Brooklyn, NY, San Francisco, CA, or remote
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $160K-$210K depending on experience and location, company stock options, and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two-week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- $1000 annual home office stipend for employees to upgrade their home work setup
- $500/month ($6,000/year) bonus for employees who commit to working at least 3 days per week in our offices
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors