At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Engineering Assistant at Philo
Philo Engineering is looking for an experienced administrator to support our engineering leaders in their day-to-day logistical responsibilities, and generally help the whole team run more smoothly and efficiently! You would be first and foremost acting as an executive assistant to the CTO/Head of Engineering, but also supporting our team of Tech Leads to help keep all of our engineering trains running smoothly and on time. This is a dynamic role where you will have an opportunity to have a tremendous positive impact on the team, helping Philo as a whole move more quickly, be more productive, and also have more fun while we do it!
Role and Responsibilities: (what you will be doing)
- Partner with Engineering leadership to coordinate and maintain the operational cadence of sprint planning activities such as cross-team prioritization planning, backlog scrubs, retrospectives, and weekly planning meetings.
- Support the Head of Engineering/CTO with general scheduling, email management, travel and organizational needs, and expense management.
- Coordinate cross-team planning meetings in partnership with the Launch team and assist with creating agendas and follow-ups as needed
- Assist with Engineering team communications, including internal team communications as well as assisting engineering leadership with drafting external-facing communications
- Plan and coordinate fun and engaging engineering team events and offsite activities
- Assist engineering leadership in the recruiting process, including occasional recruiting-related scheduling needs
- Establish and document processes and operational best practices in order to increase productivity and effectiveness across the team
- Ad-hoc project management on as-needed basis (and as time allows)
Qualifications (who you are and experience)
- At least 3 years of experience as an executive assistant, engineering administrator, or project manager in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational, planning, and calendar management skills: you are an expert in taming complex schedules and bringing order to chaos!
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience working with distributed teams
- Solid foundation in TV references and Internet memes is a plus
- Experience organizing and executing fun and engaging team events
- Ability to work independently without direct input
- Ability to prioritize well and work efficiently towards completing a varied set of tasks
- Ability to work across multiple time zones and willingness to have somewhat flexible working hours due to company geographic locations being bi-coastal
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, process-light, constantly evolving environment
- Strong problem solver and analytical thinker
- Effective, versatile and action-oriented
- Well-developed planning skills
- Strongly prefer someone based in the Bay Area and willing to work out of our San Francisco office at least 2-3 days per week, but we do have a flexible remote work policy.
Nice to haves
- Experience working with software engineering teams and in technical environments
- Confidence in leading meetings or managing projects with senior-level personnel
- Familiarity with JIRA, software development lifecycle, and sprint planning (or eagerness to learn)
- Proficient in-office technologies, such as GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets, and Presentations), Keynote, and Excel
More about Philo
We strive to build engaging and easy to use streaming apps across a large number of platforms (Android Mobile, Android tablets, Android TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, iOS, Apple TV, and web), while delivering a large variety of content to our users.
Today there are over 60 channels included in our basic package -- our lineup includes many popular cable networks, like A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix, and we’re always adding more content!
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV -- we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Location: San Francisco, CA (on-site 3 days/week)
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $90K-$120K depending on experience, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 "TV stipend" for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors