Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
Are you an excellent writer? Do you have a propensity for organization, design, and instruction? Are you digitally fluent? If you said YES YES YES, consider refining your talents on the unparalleled support team at Philo. With clarity and style, you will be a godsend to the customers, support agents, and HQ staff that worship at the altar of knowledge 🙏
The Technical Writer & Content Creator is responsible for internal and external documentation and also works closely with the Learning & Development team on agent training -- ultimately laying the foundation for awesome customer experiences. By fostering strong communication and understanding, you’ll have an outsized cross-functional impact on many teams outside of Support as well, particularly Product and Engineering.
This is a fantastic opportunity for go-getters interested in jumpstarting their career in an exciting and nurturing environment. Plus, TV is fun! TL;DR: if you’re smart, write well, and work hard, apply now!
- Create knowledge bases, customer support agent content, and help center articles to help support agents, customers, and others within the company
- Scope and create documentation both individually and by collaborating with teams
- Write clear documentation about how to perform technical and other tasks
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documents written by others
- Write and test published documents to ensure searchability and effectiveness
- Plan, research, and write documentation for projects of moderate to high complexity and scope
- Identify audiences for content and anticipate the questions, problems, and needs that the content should address
- Craft compelling, effective, on-brand learning content experiences using instructional design, UX, learning and behavioral science principles
- Design and build innovative content offerings that enable learning paths suited to different types of learners at different stages of growth through a transmedia approach
- Prototype, develop, and test learner-centric digital and blended learning experiences and materials in a variety of delivery modalities
- Evaluate impact and continuously improve content experiences
- BA/BS with strong academic record
- Strong command of the English language: an eye for detail, meticulous grammar, and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for quickly learning and understanding new technologies
- Keen technical curiosity, with outstanding research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to break down complex technical subjects and present them in an approachable way for different audiences - including translating technical jargon into plain language
- Commitment to following and improving team processes and style guidelines
- Highly organized and strategic thinker with the ability to prioritize and make decisions with bias towards action
- Experience designing and developing learning content for adult learners
- Experience with a learning management system
- Experience at a tech startup or support team
- Strong project management skills; able to hit deadlines for multiple projects at a time
- An eye for visuals and graphic design, and familiarity with image editing tools
- Experience with other methods of presenting learning content, such as recorded video tutorials, live video streams, or instructor-led training
- Experience writing content for a technology company
- Passion for creating pleasant user experiences
- Experience working cross-functionally with UX, Product Management, Sales, and Marketing partners
- Ability to make content strategy decisions based on credible metrics and communicate according to well-reasoned analysis
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors