Philo: TV on the Internet (TVoIP)
At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Data Science at Philo
Data underpins everything we do at Philo: making informed business decisions; analyzing and improving the quality of our streaming experience; running product experiments to optimize our signup flows; and making it easier for our users to find the perfect thing to watch. On the Data Science team, we’re looking for someone who is comfortable working on a variety of interesting growth, engagement, and retention-related problems across our streaming service. You’ll be working closely with other data scientists and engineers to build and deploy solutions directly for our service. We are passionate about problem-solving and providing data-informed insights for the entire company using both cutting-edge techniques and proven practices in close collaboration with every department.
Some of the recent projects our Data Science team members have worked on include:
- Modeling to determine which early product behaviors predict conversion
- Creation of minimum detectable effect calculators for experiment sizing
- Deploying new content recommendation engines
- Identification of trending regional content
- Price sensitivity research and competitive market analyses
Philo is seeking a Product Data Scientist with demonstrated understanding of statistical modeling, SQL, and experience independently developing data driven insights. This data scientist will have the opportunity to leverage massive structured, unstructured, transactional, and real-time data sets from a variety of sources, analyze financial and customer usage patterns, and make actionable recommendations to product, marketing, engineering, and business development teams.
In this role the Product Data Scientist will support the entire product development lifecycle from product ideation and opportunity sizing to measurement and experiment design, and from causal analysis and post-launch learning to the next development cycle.
- Build a deep understanding of how subscribers use Philo on each of our streaming platforms, including where they run into problems as well as identifying new features
- Own analytics, within several development work streams, from metric definition and data instrumentation design to ongoing reporting and research
- Establish curated dashboards that will serve as the primary source by which we evaluate the performance of features
- Run queries to support ad-hoc product questions and create Mode dashboards and other visualizations for stakeholders
- Understand user flows, user behaviors, and long-term trends in our data to identify opportunities for new features.
- Own your analytics projects, proactively identify issues and opportunities, test hypotheses, and propose solutions
- Create and analyze surveys to understand consumer perceptions and to reinforce qualitative research findings
- 3+ years of experience in a Data Science role
- Demonstrated ability to influence product roadmaps and business decisions with data
- Proven expertise in experimental design (including but not limited to A/B testing), principles of causal inference, and statistical techniques
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to explain and present analytical methodology and results to non-technical audiences
- Expert with statistical analysis in either R or Python
- Strong analytics fundamentals – a degree in statistics, economics, a related field, or similar professional experience
More about Philo
We strive to build engaging and easy to use streaming apps across a large number of platforms (Android Mobile, Android tablets, Android TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, iOS, Apple TV, and web), while delivering a large variety of content to our users.
Today there are over 60 channels included in our basic package -- our lineup includes many popular cable networks, like A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix, and we’re always adding more content!
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV -- we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: Boston, NY, San Francisco
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors