Philo: TV on the Internet (TVoIP)
At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Data Engineering at Philo
The Data Engineering practice is the backbone of all data-related processes and enables the Data Science team to develop and deploy a wide variety of algorithms and models that power our streaming service, business development, and product experimentation. Our infrastructure is used by the whole company for analytics, reporting, forecasting and research. We care about having a reliable infrastructure with quality data. We think that continuous testing of data is as important as testing code.
Some of the recent Analytics Engineering projects we have worked on include:
- Implementation of dbt incremental models for core Philo metrics
- Standardize and build product experimentation data models
- Development of quality of experience models
- Setup and deployment of Apache Superset for standardized reporting and APIs for our content partners
Philo is seeking an Analytics Engineer with demonstrated expertise in SQL based modeling of digital consumer products. This analytics engineer will be responsible for developing and maintaining key ETL pipelines and developing best practices and reusable components for Data Scientists and other Engineers to utilize. At the core of Philo’s data modeling is dbt (data build tool) to process incoming data (primarily delivered through Segment and Airbyte) within our Redshift data warehouse. In this role you would be instrumental in developing robust, fast, and tested processing and modeling of Philo’s data.
- Build common reusable components through SQL and Python in dbt
- Identify and design patterns for incremental data processing to enable a low latency data warehouse
- Maintain high levels of data integrity and ensuring secure handling of PII
- Provide feedback and support Data Scientists and Software Engineers in building feature stores with the data warehouse
- Create and maintain Mode dashboards for understanding Philo product performance and customer behaviors
- Run queries to support ad-hoc product questions and create Mode reports, Superset dashboards, and other visualizations for stakeholders
- Own your analytics projects, proactively identify issues and opportunities to improve data processing
- 3+ years of experience in data analytics and engineering
- Expert with relational databases and SQL, in particular how to optimize SQL in large (multiple TB or PB sized) data warehouses
- Experience with dbt, airflow, or similar software solutions
- Understanding of CI / CD best practices (we use SQLfluff to maintain SQL style standards and plan to enable slim CI features in dbt)
- Strong analytics fundamentals – a degree in statistics, computer science, a related field, or similar professional experience
More about Philo
We strive to build engaging and easy to use streaming apps across a large number of platforms (Android Mobile, Android tablets, Android TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, iOS, Apple TV, and web), while delivering a large variety of content to our users.
Today there are over 60 channels included in our basic package -- our lineup includes many popular cable networks, like A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix, and we’re always adding more content!
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV -- we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: Boston, NY, San Francisco
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors