At Philo, we’re a passionate, scrappy team who set out to build the future of television, marrying modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented. In short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves — one that everyone can love as much as the shows they watch with us.
In practice this means pouring care and attention into every surface of our product and company. For each member on our team, our subscribers watch around a million hours a month, so no detail is too small to sweat. We believe that lovingly crafted technology, authentic communication, and respecting our subscribers can create a more humane relationship between us and our customers.
Design and Build
At Philo we are designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television across web, mobile, and connected TV platforms. Each member of our team works together on the entire product experience. It’s common to go from brainstorming backend considerations to polishing design details, from understanding how the video encoding pipeline affects performance to thinking about how to best tailor a feature to each different platform. We strive to make the experience of Philo inviting and engaging from the moment a person first learns about us through their entire tenure as a customer, and beyond.
As Head of Design, you would own the ultimate design vision across our entire company, from ground-breaking and user-centric product design to stunning new visual design. As the main architect of how our company expresses itself through design, you would also be a key contributor to our culture that puts people first and encourages everyone to contribute to making Philo the company and product we want it to be.
Recent efforts our design team have led or supported include:
- Launching Philo Connect to allow you to use the Philo app on your phone as a full-featured touch-screen remote to search, browse, and control playback on a connected TV device.
- Building on our browse experience to allow expanding any category or row on our app, or even creating collections of collections to quickly search a wide range of content.
- Partnered with the Brand Creative team to facilitate the design and delivery of an updated motion design toolkit from a third party design agency, that pushed the evolution of Philo’s visual identity.
- Helped develop our latest brand spots, from initial ideation and storyboards all the way through to onsite production and post-production efforts.
- In all situations, strive to do what you believe is right
- Help to lead and grow the design team through strong mentorship and empathy
- Promote a high standard of visual and product design across the team
- Run regular design reviews that foster collaboration and creativity
- Help to support and scale our unique culture and values
- Lead collaboration across product, marketing, business, and engineering balancing the priorities of different stakeholders and distilling complex narratives
- Partner with others in product, marketing, business, and engineering to advance our user experience and help achieve our creative vision
- Work with our design team to build upon and maintain our complex design system and libraries
- Be a champion of our brand, creating delightful end-to-end experiences with a focus on delighting our customers
- Develop original, breakthrough creative and design for a variety of marketing and brand experience touch-points
- Actively prototype, test, and iterate new features in collaboration with others
- Craft a consistent design identity and story connecting our marketing and product
- Work closely with internal and external teams to apply our design principles and values to improve the effectiveness of our acquisition and awareness campaigns
- Work with our product designers to lead and leverage qualitative and quantitative data to drive product thinking and strategy
- Lead evolution of our visual brand design system
A Strong Candidate Will Have
- 5+ years experience in a design leadership role with 12+ years combined product and visual design experience
- Examples of fresh, lively design, including consumer-facing advertising work
- A strong empathetic spirit and enthusiasm for mentoring, managing, and building a diverse and thoughtful team of creatives
- A passion for continually exploring the edges of brand expression to make an indelible impression through well articulated campaigns
- Awareness of marketing design standards and leading practices for specific marketing channels
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision, and articulate that vision for both designers and non-designers
- Capability to produce and lead others in creative visual design work
- Experience using user research and analytics to inform design and marketing decisions
- A deep understanding of brand and visual design principles and how those principles can be extended to accommodate functional needs
- Ability to own the end-to-end design process from concept through implementation
- Experience designing with and for diverse groups of people
- Strong and unique perspective and aesthetic that stands out from established conventions
More About Philo
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and our colleagues. Our philosophy is to empower each other do our best work by creating an environment of open collaboration, shared ownership, and radical transparency. We value pragmatism, passion, and pride in one's work. We deemphasize titles and hierarchy in favor of openness and cross-functional teams with shared goals.
We place a high priority on diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity isn't something we do for optics. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives is what enables our culture work and allows us to build the best product for our customers.
Our headquarters is at the base of Telegraph Hill in San Francisco, with offices in Brooklyn, NY and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including A&E, AMC, Discovery, HBO, and Viacom.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Competitive salary, stock options, and health benefits.
Our team welcomes people of all backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to help Philons thrive. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take at least a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” to upgrade your home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors