Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing—in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first—both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
Design and Build: This role works closely with both the Product and Marketing teams. Both teams are responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television, creating and telling people about the most engaging product ever created, across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Each member of our team works together on the entire product experience. It’s not uncommon to go from brainstorming strategic considerations to polishing design details, from understanding how the product experience affects performance to the different needs of different platforms.
The Role: We are looking for a motion designer and video editor to join the team to create, edit, and mix video assets and motion designs for Philo product, marketing, and communications needs. As a Motion Designer you will work in a hybrid role, both designing and helping drive the process of delivering, from developing new ideas to getting the details right. You will help execute on our team’s vision of making Philo into a richly visual television brand, both creating creative directions and rolling up your sleeves to make deliverables. You should have project expertise with motion design, video editing, digital marketing, and experience cataloging, managing, and referencing video storage assets for large and complex productions/projects. You must be comfortable working across graphic, motion, and advertising media. You should be able to take an idea from concept to launch.
- Develop creative solutions to combining branded show content and our Philo identity.
- Develop motion/animation system for product across platforms.
- Support marketing’s video needs including but not limited to:
- Feature trailers using partner provided content.
- Branded product tutorial videos.
- Tagged partner content.
- Social videos
- Help build and develop infrastructure for storing and archiving footage and project files.
- Manage and oversee all technical aspects of video recording and editing.
- Ability to both execute projects from start to finish, as well as manage external partners or larger video projects when necessary.
- Strong portfolio, a set of self-initiated projects.
- Work examples that shows strong understanding of motion design, and demonstrates strong design and editorial instincts.
- 5-7 years of experience in editorial and motion design work, at a creative agency or an in-house team.
- Some experience with product design is a plus.
- Light experience with sound production and shooting video is a plus.
- Attention to detail and articulating design considerations.
- Experience with television content and marketing needs.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors