Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
Currently, there are over 60 channels included in our basic package. They include many popular cable networks, includingA&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix. There is a lot more programming on the way.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Philo is looking for our first fully-dedicated Data Platform Engineer to collaborate with our growing team of Data Scientists and Analysts. As the lead data platform engineer you will be responsible for architecting our next gen data processing applications and reporting systems.
Being the first dedicated data platform engineer, you will have the opportunity to build wholly new systems and services. We have some of the foundational elements in place for a modern data stack (Redshift, dbt, Segment, Kubernetes, Docker, Airbyte, Mode) and an active data science practice. We are looking for someone who can determine the next phase of the roadmap for the data platform and to lead us in building it -- for example, when do we want a different orchestration tool? When should we look to be less dependent on our current (3rd party) libraries for client app event tracking? We are looking to invest in ensuring that the core infrastructure on which all of our research depends is scalable, tested, robust, and able to evolve to meet our constantly changing data science needs.
We are looking for a lead engineer who enjoys being product-minded in the sense that they own a product from beginning to end by designing, constructing, integrating, testing, documenting, and supporting their creations.
As a lead data platform engineer you will be responsible for:
- Designing, building, and supporting our next gen data processing applications and reporting systems through some combination of Python, Ruby, SQL, R, Go, and determining what tools we should build and what tools we should buy
- Following software engineering development practices for building scalable and highly secure applications / services
- Crafting optimal data processing architecture and systems for new data and ETL pipelines and driving the recommendation for improvements and modifications to existing data and ETL pipelines. (While you will certainly contribute to production ETL workflows, we expect you to spend more time building the tools and systems to enable data scientists, analysts, and other engineers to build the majority of the workflows.)
- Collaborating with infrastructure teams to improve data processing CI / CD practices
- Evangelizing high quality data engineering practices towards building data infrastructure, pipelines at scale and fostering the next-gen state of art data warehouse
- Analyzing extremely large data sets (tens of millions to billions of records) to identify, evaluate and prioritize new opportunities to grow and optimize the business through analytics and data science
A strong candidate should be:
- Highly proficient in SQL
- Familiar with Python, Ruby, and/or Golang, and should have deep proficiency with at least one of those languages.
- Experienced working with data pipelines in a cloud-native environment (bonus points for AWS experience)
- Able to write, test, ship, and maintain clean production code within a collaborative and version-controlled (git) codebase.
Location: Cambridge, MA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors