Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
The Philo Product Team is responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television (the most engaging product ever created) across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Just as television is about more than simply watching an episode of your favorite show, so too does our work extend well beyond the play button. We take TV schedules, movie and show metadata, live and on-demand feeds, recordings, real-time localized usage metrics, cross-device interoperability, and individualized viewing habits, preferences, restrictions, and notifications – massaging it all into a comprehensive and seamless TV experience. We are positioned at the forefront of both web TV and front-end development technologies, building on DRM-decrypting HTML5 video along with a modern workflow leveraging React and ES6.
Philo engineers own what they build from start to finish. We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development.
As a front-end engineer you will be responsible for:
- Iteratively designing and improving upon our application UIs
- Implementing user acquisition, engagement, and retention-oriented initiatives.
- Prototyping, testing, and iterating upon new features.
- Taking initiative by continually investigating anomalies in reported metrics as well as proffering or implementing solutions.
- Communicating effectively with product, marketing, engineering, operations, and support teams to rapidly and collaboratively ship impactful work that delights our customers.
A strong candidate should be:
- Highly proficient in modern web development technologies (particularly React)
- Experienced building and maintaining large scale single page applications
- Able to write, test, ship, and maintain clean production code within a collaborative and version-controlled (git) codebase.
Experience with the following technologies is a plus (but not required):
- Redux state management
- HTML5 video player development
- GraphQL endpoints
- Full stack development in Rails, Node, or a similar backend technology
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors