Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
Currently, there are over 60 channels included in our basic package. They include many popular cable networks, including A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP, Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix. There is a lot more programming on the way.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals.
We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
The Legal Team
Philo’s Legal Team Vision Statement is: To partner with our phellow Philons, delivering practical legal and strategic business solutions that empower Philo to create the television experience everyone who loves TV has always wanted.
Philo is reinventing television, and the Legal Team touches every facet of the company’s business, including business development, programming, HR, advertising, marketing, engineering and product development and corporate matters. Philo is moving at light speed, and all its operating teams are multi-dimensional and interconnected.
Philo’s Legal Team consists of the full-time Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”) and the Principal Counsel, Content Acquisition & Business Development (“PC”) and are supported by several prominent law firms; the CLO is in Denver, CO and the PC resides in Philo’s New York office. We are ready to expand our in-house capabilities and reduce our reliance on outside legal resources; this search is for our first attorney resident in our San Francisco Headquarters office.
You will report to the Chief Legal Officer. Your principal responsibilities will be to assist the CLO in advising Philo’s management team in getting us ready for the next phase of our growth, as well as handling general corporate matters such as supporting our HR team, drafting complex commercial contracts, identifying potential issues and crafting solutions concerning data, privacy and intellectual property issues, alerting our legal and business teams of legal risks and providing actionable risk mitigation strategies.
You will also assist the CLO in developing the Legal Team’s best practices, crafting standard legal document templates, and growing the Legal Team’s in-house capabilities and resources.
Extensive, relevant legal and business experience and expertise are just the ante for this position, you must be perceptive, proactive, confident (but not arrogant) and collaborative.
Last, but certainly not least, you must respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Active membership in the California Bar.
- 5+ years of in-house counsel experience or relevant corporate experience at a major law firm law working with public companies or a combination of both.
- A corporate generalist with working knowledge of NYSE/SEC corporate governance requirements, and significant experience with such things as mergers and acquisitions, business contracts, HR matters, IP issues and privacy obligations. Start-up and/or high-tech experience is a plus. Experience with the media/entertainment industry is desirable but not required.
- Dependable exercise of independent and sound judgment and discretion in all matters.
- Ability to be the lead in-house attorney on specific corporate projects, including managing simultaneous transactions.
- Exceptional communication, project management, organization, and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to work constructively and closely with others and provide practical, business-savvy legal advice and strategy while working in a high-pressure setting.
- The ability to work effectively with colleagues located in satellite offices or who may be working from home.
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Compensation: Competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team members:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible working hours.
- Generous paid parental leave.
- Flexible Spending Account
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave.
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two-week vacation).
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance.
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup.
- Dog-friendly offices.
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors